cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot send email - error message: Blacklisted IP address

MinR
Tuning in

Hi, first time using this forum. I have the same issue and have just spent 2.5 hrs on the phone to virgin media, spoken to 6, yes 6 different people and cut off twice. No solution and varying information. One person said he could see it IP was blocked and went off to sort this then came back and then cut me off. Still can’t send emails. Went back again and final person advised it was outlook, had us delete and reinstall the email account which created more problems and then stated outlook was the problem and not a virgin media problem albeit number 4 person said it was. He also said the message generated when sending an email is incorrect?? We have completed all the same actions as per the initial post and I am now at a loss as to what to do.

the stress of trying to get this resolved with VM is exasperating.  Can anyone help please. 

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your suggestion - unfortunately I returned this:
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Any ideas?
Further communication with VM has been again extremely frustrating (another 3 people and being disconnected again) as they told me my IP would change on the 16th Jan - turned router off two days running but has not updated. External professional people we paid to investigate were able to send an email whilst our PC was in their office using our account and password etc. proves it can work but VM still washing their hands of he problem. 😞 They will not help with blacklisted/blocked IP. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which operating system are you running and what is its version?

What did these “External professional people” do given that connecting your device to their network was always likely to work because your home network's public IP Address is blacklisted, not theirs, i.e. you could have likely connected to any network and successfully sent an email. Did they at least affirm that no viruses or malware were present on your device?

Hello, the company we employed to try and help rectify this issue ran full scans and the machine is 'clean'. Yes I understand that they would be able to send an email from their office as it is not using our blocked IP, but VM said it was the Outlook software that was the problem? This company also connected remotely and tried various things (changing various settings etc) to no avail.
Using Widows 10 Home Version 20H2 is this what you required?
Thank you again for looking at this.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure why your version of Windows is lacking the where and/or findstr commands. Can you try repeating the curl command minus the crossed-out text and remembering to replace username:password:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Toward the end of the resulting output there will be an indication of success or failure with a VM error code. Can you just state whether it was successful or not, and if not what VM error was reported.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MinR

Thanks for your post 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your Black Listed IP address 
I can look into this for you 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L