cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Auto-forwarded emails not received

johncla77
Tuning in

I have an email address that is registered with Fasthosts and emails are auto-forwarded by them to my VirginMedia email address. I noticed in March that an email from a friend had not been delivered so I changed my Fasthosts settings to also forward a copy of each email to a gmail account and I configured that gmail account to forward a copy of each received message to my virginmedia address so I should get two copies of every email in my virginmedia account.

When both copies of an email are in the virginmedia account the email routed via the gmail account typically has a timestamp that is 5 minutes later than the one received directly from fasthosts.

I have noticed two problems:

• Some of the emails received directly from fasthosts can be significantly delayed. For example, an email received via the gmail account had a timestamp of Tues 18:34 whereas the one directly forwarded by fasthosts had a timestamp of Weds 07:29 so almost 13 hours later.
  • Some emails are only received via the gmail account.

Most of the delayed and lost messages might be falsely considered to be spam although they are from companies that I have registered with. However, the copy of the email received via gmail are never tagged as spam.

I have one friend whose emails are occassionally lost and another whose emails are consistently not received via the direct route from fasthost; the copy via my gmail account is always received and he can send emails directly to my virginmedia account without any problem.It may be a coincident but both of these friends have gmail.com accounts. I tried creating my own gmail.com and using that to send emails but there were no issues.

I have had fasthosts check their servers to determine if the problem could be with their configuration. They added an SPF record to my domain but unfortunately that was not the problem and they could not find any other issues.

Can I have the security team check my account?

11 REPLIES 11

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @johncla77,

I'd be happy to assist you further, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

Were you intending to send a new private message as the last one I have from you was on Monday 23rd.

John

Hi John, 

Our apologies you haven't had any further update from David. What I will do is reach out to him and ask if he can contact you as soon as possible. 

^Martin

Is there a solution as another email went missing today?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that another email went missing today, I will chase for an update regarding this now.

I will let you know as soon as I have any further details.

Thank you for your patience,

Serena

Has there been any progress as I'm still losing emails.

Starting this morning the copy of some emails from the gmail account to my virgin account are not getting accepted. In my gmail account I have a few messages saying "There was a temporary problem delivering your message to xxxxxxxxx@virginmedia.com. Gmail will retry for 45 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently. The response from the remote server was: 421 4.2.0 MXIN618 Temporary SMC Policy Violation detected, retry later ;id=ZVT9mP42J1BAEZVTAmn6e9;sid=ZVT9mP42J1BAE;mta=mx8.tb;dt=2021-10-10T11:50:12+02:00;ipsrc=209.85.167.46;"

Obviously, I've blanked out my virgin account in the above extract.

Hi johncla77

Thanks for coming back to us. I'll mail my colleague who is looking into this for you. They'll then come back to you with any updates 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I've not received any feedback so it looks like I've have to move to another supplier who might provide support.

I moved away from Virgin due to the lack of response and then discovered I had the same problem using an outlook.com account. After more tests I found that emails forwarded by my domain registered with fasthosts were not always delivered to my virginmedia or outlook mailsboxes but there were no problems with forwarding emails to gmail, aol or yahoo accounts. I registered a new domain with 123.reg and tried forwarding emails using that domain; emails were successfully forwarded to all email accounts including virginmedia and outlook. My conclusion is that I need to move my main domain from fasthosts to 123.reg.