cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 403 forbidden error message AGAIN!

omeron
Tuning in

I have the exact same experience over the past week. Got locked out, reset password and virus scanned all devices (nothing found) got back into eMail but as of today I get Forbidden 403 error when I try to login to email from any laptop I use. 

First time I tried today there was a message on the virgin email site that there was a problem and they working on it after that it was just the forbidden message. Phone still can access email though. It strikes me something I going very wrong at the server side. Does anybody know what is going on?

11 REPLIES 11

omeron
Tuning in

Seem to be going through similar problems right now although today even accessing my email results in a Forbidden error 403 message in my browser. Not sure if that can be resolved by resetting my password again. Virus scans found nothing. Reckon the problem is on Virgin's side.

omeron
Tuning in

Apparently they are updating their security software for email and I get the impression it's not going very well. In fact, the first time I tried to check my email today there was a message there was a problem and they were working on it. After that the server was unreachable. How is my account or password the problem here? Strangely on my mobile everything still works. Which suggests a bigger issue on their side...

omeron
Tuning in

I think I am going to sleep on it while the Virgin IT department figures out how the update of their anti spam/malware software went so horribly wrong.

dazseaton
On our wavelength

I have had this for a week now also.

Started off with my account being locked because of suspiciious activity - (although i have no trace of it).

Eventually unlocked account after resetting password, but still can't use webmail. mobile and outlook on desktop pc ok.

what is wrong please?

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi omeron,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've had some issues accessing your emails.

Can I ask if you've ben through the help here since you last posted?

Let me know if this is still something you need help with.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex_Rm,

Thanks for your response. Yes, been through the help and ended up going through that routine twice and so far so good, finally. Still no idea why I had to though. Is Virgin just forcing a password change on me? 

Now don't get the impression that Virgin did a good job here or that the "help" is more than a stopgap for problems that have been recurring for years now judging by searching this forum. 

I was locked out of my account for no obvious reason (no virus or malware detected on my end) except Virgin apparently doing a security software update, twice. No contact before I was locked out and no explanation why. Both times the login process did not inform me what was going on and I had to call your helpline or visit here. To get locked out once I can understand, mistakes are made, using a VPN and multiple devices may be confusing. Twice is a bit much and to see the same problem reported here for years makes me wonder about the quality of your security and IT set up altogether. 

Here's one for the suggestion box. If you register a security issue, contact your customer first. We're not all luddites. 

Hi omeron, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us. We're really glad things are sorted and you're now able to access your mails. 

We understand the frustration caused and will certainly pass your feedback over to the relevant team. 

If for any reason you have any further issues, pop back here and let us know. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

chp6ph1
On our wavelength

Hi Kath.  And did you get any useful feedback or promises of process improvements from the relevant team, please?  This 403 issue is still occurring (e.g. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/403-Forbidden/m-p/4960079/highlight/false#M235765 ) and users are still not being contacted.  Last October I raised the issue of lack of contact from your security folk with both users and your own '150' team as high as Fortuné Barnard (who seems a decent, honest bloke trying to do an impossible job) but I can't say I've detected any improvements since then!  Maybe something is in the pipeline us as paying customers are not aware of yet?

Pete

Thanks for coming back to us @chp6ph1, if there has still been no improvement, we would need to look at this on a case by case basis with our support team.

Would you like me to send a private message out to confirm a few details and we can get this looked into further for you?

Regards,

Steven_L