Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

shopshopshop
On our wavelength

HI, are you any closer to solving this?

I lost the capability to send emails through Outlook 365 using my Virgin accounts for a few days then it came back again after changing the accounts passwords and now I have lost it again.

When I send an email from one Virgin account to another of my Virgin accounts I receive a System Administrator message that it could not reach the intended recipients.

When I send an email from a Virgin account to a non-Virgin account Outlook asks me for the account password.

I have never had the VM300 code as mentioned in previous messages.

Reading this thread this problem has been going for some time, can you offer any other advice to fix this?

Thanks 

shopshopshop
On our wavelength

Hello @shopshopshop,

Sorry to hear this issue is still ongoing.

Can you let us know if you're able to successfully log into webmail here: https://virg.in/mail? Doing so will help us rule out an account issue.

Thanks,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I actually think @shopshopshop should be creating a new thread rather than posting in this one.

Things I take from the last post:

When I send an email from one Virgin account to another of my Virgin accounts I receive a System Administrator message that it could not reach the intended recipients.

Well in that case the email has been sent, actually seeing the bounce message would be helpful.

When I send an email from a Virgin account to a non-Virgin account Outlook asks me for the account password

Odd behaviour and I think we may be missing some information here.

I have never had the VM300 code as mentioned in previous messages.

It would help to know what error codes you are getting.  Have a look at my thread here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

@shopshopshop as you can see, there is a dearth of information in your post.  Please provide the info requested so we can help you.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi

No problem logging into my Virgin webmail accounts through any browser.

Thanks, Nick

Hi

Sending from one of my Virgin emails to another of my Virgin emails is not sent, it is not received by the receiving email hence this error code, following your instructions

2019.08.06 11:50:41 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305).

Thanks, Nick

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to check the network you are sending from.  YYou can find the public IP by typing IP into a Google search.

If you check here: https://spamhaus.org/lookup/

You'll most likely find you are on the CSS - this means that a device on your network has been seen sending Spam, you need to do checks with an antivirus program as well as a separate anti malware program such as Malwarebytes.  You must check and and all devices.  If you attempt to remove your IP from the CSS without dealing with the root cause of it being there, you will simply end up with it being listed again.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Finally, found the culprit, all systems were disinfected, newsletters unsubscribed and emails flagged ruthlessly as spam, washed with ccleaner and adwcleaner then anti-virused. then spamhaus checked and IP duly delisted, waited a few hours and now life is back to normality.

Thanks for your help, hope I can find it again if I need to.

Nick

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Out of interest, would you like to elaborate on what was infected, and if possible what the infection was?

Tim

Well, that didn't last long, problem has come back again and my IP is back in the spamlist! Now going through the process again.