Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which is all well and good. BUT there's an issue here,

1. Not all bots are picked up by AV software.  There are a variety of bots called rootkits - this are programs that are able to gain high level access normally reserved for system processes, and at this level they can actually hide from some AV software.
  2. Unless Windows is booted into Safe mode these bots are often left running which means it's impossible to clean them properly.
  3. In some cases, it is necessary to load and burn a bootable ISO.  This is used to create a CD which can be used to boot the PC and which contains a number of tools needed to remove the rootkits.
  4. Worst case scenario is to run a factory restore in order to remove the software.

Don't assume that if you can't see them - they're not there.  The CBL entry tells you they are.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks mate.

Ill pass on your message to these guys and see what they want to do.

Cheers

DoubleZero
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm still unable to send emails using my blueyonder account either through an email client on my phone or webmail, I've changed the password multiple times but it doesn't seem to change the smtp password.

Regards

Tony

Email Error VM300.jpeg

Hi DoubleZero,

Thanks for your post. the password of the email directly from our website needs to be the one to be changed first. Be sure to sign into the webmail and change ti from the account settings, then sign out. If you are using the forgot password function, then you still should attempt to log into the webmail first with the updated password to ensure the updated password works, then update every device that connects to the mailbox with that new password.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi,

I've changed the password multiple times "see attached image is this the correct password to change?" and doesn't seem to change or effect my email account, when I log into webmail and update the email password the incoming mail server doesn't work then and when I enter my old password that was the original password generated when I first joined Telewest 20 years ago it logs in fine but displays an SMTP error VM300.

20200701_130937.jpg

Screenshot_20200701-125615_Chrome.jpg

Regards

Tony

Thanks, DoubleZero,

From what I can tell from the screenshot, it looks  like you're doing it from the right place. I'll send you a PM shortly so I can get your details and have a look at your mailbox from here.

Cheers,

Corey C

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Sorry for this intervention. I've read this quickly so this may already have been addressed. Password changes need to be done FIRST in My Virginmedia for the relevant address before trying to log into web mail or use an e-mail client with the new password. You cannot just change a password in web mail or in an e-mail client and expect it to work. That is why you will see the VM300 error message - It means authentication credentials invalid. Logical isn't it?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi HowardML,

Yes, it must be done from the originating mailbox first before all connecting devices can get their passwords updated otherwise it's authentication errors all around.

Cheers,

Corey C

Gizmouk
On our wavelength

here - tried everything I can think of... webmail is fine .. 

I'm using Linux and Thunderbird, Gmail via Thunderbird works fine, so I conclude it's a VM issue

Screenshot of simple test message attemted send

Screenshot from 2020-07-02 14-38-31.png

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I have had to reject your image as it contains your email address and another one, it is against forum rules to post personal information.

Regards Mike