Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

Hi Woolfie, hope you don't mind me saying but Teamviewer is perfectly safe on pc, laptop and mobile. I use it nearly every day.

I have had similar problems as you and ordered a hub 3. After setting up the new hub to fit seamlessly into my network I removed all the virginmedia accounts from Outlook365, and reinstalled the accounts again. For 4 days Outlook has worked as it should and all virginmedia accounts are sending and receiving, even spamhaus shows everything fine now.

I also use mobile, laptop and a pc, with all the virginmedia accounts sending/receiving through outlook365.

Hi 

I already have a hub 3 from virgin.

This is the 2nd time in a week this has happened.

My email addresses are been backlisted but after scanning my & my wifes laptops & phones it all shows up clean.

This spamHaus blacklists email addresses and Virgin should sort it out.

Regards Steve

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@woofie wrote:

Hi 

I already have a hub 3 from virgin.

This is the 2nd time in a week this has happened.

I wonder why?

My email addresses are been backlisted but after scanning my & my wifes laptops & phones it all shows up clean.

If your email addresses are blacklisted, then why can you send using the same servers from a different IP address?

This spamHaus blacklists email addresses and Virgin should sort it out.

Wrong!!  From the CSS page itself

Spamhaus is a reputation data producer. The actions taken based on our data will differ amongst email/internet 
service providers. It is up to the provider to decide how to treat IP addresses listed in the CSS.

Regards Steve

Just because you haven't found malware doesn't mean that it isn't there on your network.  Bear in mind that when you changed hubs, you IP address changed.  Now if I'm reading your posts properly, this is the sequence of events:

1.  Your email stops working on your home address.  The error present is VM305.  Checks of your IP address show that it is on Spamhaus' CSS
2.  You get a new hub.  Your email starts working from the new IP address.
3.  A few days after receiving the new hub your email stops working again.  Checking your new IP address shows it's now on the CSS

So what is the CSS?

Well it's a blacklist looking at IP addresses that are seen delivering low volumes of Spam.  This is referred to as Snowshoe Spam, this is because just like snowshoes - spammers try and spread the load in order that the IP addresses fall below the detection thresholds of some reputation based blacklists.

Spamhaus state that their listings are always the results of multiple events - not a single event.  Also be aware that in an email exchange - there is a back and forth conversation - the IP address used for the connection cannot be spoofed.  This is NOT guesswork.  I've used a number of different email servers:

hmailserver
Zoho mail
Google Apps
Mail In A Box.

You state it's up to Virgin Media to do something about the blacklisting.  Well being as your IP address is being used to send spam, it's actually YOU that needs to do something.

There's a saying - Absence of proof is not proof of absence.  Even though you can't find the malware yourself, you do have proof that there is something there, that is repeat listings on not one but TWO IP addresses that you are using.

@PaulMoore @BillC45 - I'd welcome your thoughts on this one.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tim

Tricky one. Reading through the thread my gut reaction was – wife’s laptop – or non-computer device – such as CCTV camera. Can we have confirmation that the new router wi-fi password has not been changed or disclosed to any 3rd party and that we have a full list of all devices which can potentially connect either by wire or wi-fi?

Hi Tim,

Ive not used the new hub yet, its still in the box.

So what the hell do I do now, this is driving me nuts.

Regards

Steve

Hi Bill,

Still on original hub3 router.

There are 2 laptops & 3 phones connected by wifi + 1 Epsom printer.

Nothing else.  All have been scanned with anti virus & Malware programmes with no results.

Both my email addresses are not sending, but cam receive.  

I have Virgin media & BT mail.

Both work when I connect up to my mobile hotspot from the phone.

What do I need to do to clear this problem, its causing me real problems.

Regards

Steve

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A few thoughts -

This is what CBL says about your IP address today -

This IP address was detected and listed 6 times in the past 28 days, and 1 times in the past 24 hours. The most recent detection was at Thu Sep 19 20:15:00 2019 UTC +/- 5 minutes”. So, it’s not all day every day. More like low volume every now and then.

UTC time is one hour behind British Summer Time. Who was doing what at 21:15 last night?

Are you sure that no near-neighbours know your router wi-fi password?

Can we eliminate the phones – do they mostly just use the phone network(s) – and not wi-fi? If some wi-fi use, can you refrain from this for say a week? If the problem goes away – it was a phone. If the problem remains, it wasn’t a phone.

Using Tim’s link at message 101 check if your address is listed and follow the “Remove” procedure, say every few days.

Does your Epson printer report ink levels/statistics back to home base via wi-fi?

Hi,

No printer doesn't report back.

In have just had a tech security firm checking my 2 laptops and router since 9am this morning.

They report everything is clear.

So maybe the phones?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How were they checking.  We’re they on site?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No using team viewer