Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

Hi woofie

Were you able to get a new hub sent out?

Gareth_L

Yes, should have it Friday.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@woofie - The problem you were seeing with the network was symptomatic of something we used to see with the Superhub 2, something we never got to the bottom of,and to be honest I was surprised to see you getting that message on a Hub 3, as I hadn't seen this popping up much.

Can you do me a favour.  Can you at least check the following.

Find your public IP by typing IP into a Google search box when connected to the Hub 3

Put your IP into here: https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Tell me what comes up.

I want to rule out one possibility that springs to mind separate from the network issue.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Ravenstar
this is what comes up:

[REMOVED] is listed in the SBL, in the following records:
SBLCSS
[REMOVED] is not listed in the PBL (in green)
[REMOVED] is listed in the XBL,(in red) because it appears in:
CBL Lookup

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Let me know if there is something I can do to get the email working again.
Cheers
Woofie

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

86.15.xxx.xxx is listed in the SBL, in the following records:
SBLCSS
86.15.xxx.xxx is not listed in the PBL (in green)
86.15.xxx.xxx is listed in the XBL,(in red) because it appears in:
CBL Lookup

The entry in red is the cause of your problem, but the entry in blue is also of some concern.

Finally I'm going to suggest to Virgin Media that they update Spamhaus' PBL - as all dynamic addresses such as those given out by Virgin Media and other providers SHOULD be listed there.  @ModTeam could you look into this?

Virgin Media's SMTP servers will block authentication attempts from all IP addresses listed on the CSS.  Because being on the CSS means that your IP address has been seen delivering spam mail DIRECTLY to a mail exchanger - most commonly one or more honeypots set up by anti spam agencies.

This is blacklisting is nothing to do with Virgin Media, it is done by third parties.

The CBL listing indicates that something on your home network has been seen acting as if it has been compromised.  Being on both lists strongly suggests that your home network has been infected with malware.

You need to check ALL devices on your network for malware and viruses.  I recommend malwarebytes free edition, I don't really have a preference on the anti virus front.

Once you've disinfected the devices then you can consider de-listing the entries.  BUT both the CBL and CSS automatically delist after about 48 hours anyway.  DO NOT DELIST YOUR IP UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU'VE CLEANED YOUR NETWORK.

Note:  Changing the router may well appear to fix your problem in the short term.  This is because having a new router will give you a new IP address.  HOWEVER if your devices are infected the new IP will end up being listed and the same problem will occur again.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I am not listed in SBL, PBL, or XBL. Anti virus etc shows up nothing.

I have ordered a superhub 3. 

Hi Ravenstar,

Ive already run a full virus scan (Mcafee) and nothing showed up.

I have the full version that is constantly on, so...

I'll download the Malwarebytes and run that tonight and see what happens.

what do you want me to say to @modteam ?

Cheers Steve

Hi,

Run the Malwarebytes free version.

and its come up with nothing, says al ok.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@shopshopshop 

Are you still getting a VM305 error?

If so can you let me have your public IP address via PM?

Tim