Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

I had/have the same problem. Did the malwarebyte scan on all 4 pcs and although no malware came up one pc had lots of stuff it suggested should quaratined. Appearing on Spamhaus and requesting a delisting has become a daily chore.

I've been with Virgin for years and this is the first time this has happened. If this becomes a daily chore I will be moving to Sky perhaps!

Can the Virgin team come up with any more suggestions?

In brief, I switched to a friend's ISP (not Virgin) to check this out. Used whatsmyip, entered into Spamhaus and a PBL error was flagged up. According to the information given there is a smtp authentication problem. I definitely have the correct SMTP settings. I cleaned again and delisted. Next day, again the PBL error popped up. Perhaps this has something to do with the not-Virgin ISP I am using? I have not checked this before when using the not-Virgin ISP, although it looks like the emails are working normally in Outlook 365. It will be a couple of weeks until I can get back to my Virgin network.

Any suggestions?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why don't people read this stuff properly?

There is nothing wrong with being on a PBL - or Policy Block Lists

These lists don't identify spammers, rather they identify IP addresses that should not be hosting MAIL SERVERS  A perfect example is residential IP addresses which are allocated by DHCP.  These connections IP  addresses MAY change without warning, which is not something you want on a mail server.

Have a read at my post here to see where blacklists normally kick in.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M17310...

I've read the bit on Spamhaus that talks about SMTP authentication, and to be frank, if I worked for Spamhhaus I wouldn't have posted that.

Normally XBL and SBL issues wouldn't affect email clients either, but Virgin Media have chosen to to reject logins where the users IP is on the CSS list.

To be frank, I don't blame them.  If you are on the CSS it means that your IP has been seen spamming in the last 48 hours.  If you're not knowingly spamming (and most aren't) it means that something on your network has been infected with malware and is attempting delivery to mail exchangers.  The fact that you've delisted yourselves and then been re-listed would confirm this.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

woofie
Tuning in

I have been having problems since yesterday with sending emails from outlook 365 using POP mail.

I seem to be getting emails from 2 accounts: virgin media & BT mail, but cannot send from either.

I had a Microsoft engineer working remotely on my laptop last night and he said it wasn't a problem with my outlook and must be the server of the provider.

I can send and receive now as I am using my mobile as a hotspot as the problem isn't yet solved.

please sort this as I need to work from  my laptop all day and most days, this is a real pain in the ass

thanks steve

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@woofie wrote:

I had a Microsoft engineer working remotely on my laptop last night and he said it wasn't a problem with my outlook and must be the server of the provider.

Based on what comes below I'd say that they are part correct.

I can send and receive now as I am using my mobile as a hotspot as the problem isn't yet solved.

If you can send from a different IP (i.e. when using your hotspot) - you have a different problem to that which this thread was created to solve.

please sort this as I need to work from  my laptop all day and most days, this is a real pain in the ass

thanks steve

One of the main things that hit me is that you stated you can;t send from your BT account either,  I trust you are not using Virgin Media's SMTP servers on that account, if you are change them to the correct ones.

Based  on the fact that you can send from a different IP, I would suggest that you are getting a VM305 error however can you verify this by following the steps here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Tim,

I have just had a message from outlook saying:

This wifi uses and older security standard. We recommend connecting to a different network.????

Or change your security settings on the router ??

Its a virgin router.

wth is going on ?

Steve

Hi

also getting these error messages after I try and send an email:

Task ‘[REMOVED] – receiving reported error (0x800CCC0D): cannot find the email server. Verify the server information in your account properties

Task ‘[REMOVED] – receiving reported error (0x800CCC0D): cannot find the email server. Verify the server information in your account properties

[Mod Edit – Removed Personal Information ]

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's not an Outlook error.  That's a networking error.

What hub do you have?

Tim

Virgin media router.