Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

Hi

As suggested, I changed the password in My Virgin Media then started up Outlook and updated the password when prompted for both receiving (IMAP) and sending (SMTP) and all now seems fine.

Thanks for fixing this, just a shame it took so long.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GeordieDave 

Thanks for the update.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

russlock1
Tuning in

Just tried it now at around 7.40am. Change of email was accepted and i got an email to say i had changed it. changed the password in my outlook client and it would not get passed the "sending test email"

Screenshot_3.png

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
I have had to reject your image. It contained your e-mail address in the banner - very clearly noticeable. Breaches Forum rules to make that kind of information visible. You'll have to try again. Sorry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Same for me.  Being struggling for over a week. Can receive emails.  but if send get window opening asking for password. Which I give. But box just keeps popping up.  If use webmail can receive and send emails!!  Any ideas?

thank you

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Have you tried the advice given at the the start of this thread to change your password in My Virginmedia and in your e-mail client? There is good evidence that this enables the systems involved to reset and resolve the issue.

I still can't send emails after changing my password at this morning at 9:26am I receive the same error message through webmail I get the following:

"Error: Wrong or missing login data to access e-mail transport server smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. Please check associated account's settings/credentials."

Using my mail client wither on my computer or phone I get the VM300 error.

This really needs to be sorted asap its been going on to long now.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DoubleZero The Transport error message suggests that you are using webmail for one VM account and then pulling mail from another VM account in as a secondary account.  In this role webmail works in the same way as an email client (and uses the same servers to fetch and send mail).

The main account in webmail uses different SMTP servers to send that are embedded in the mail platform itself.

However you have confirmed that mail clients are also getting VM300 and that you've tried changing passwords on the affected account. So we need someone from the Forum Team to escalate this for you.

@ModTeam 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kev_B @modteam.

Can I suggest that you have someone comb through this thread and escalate those to date who are still having issues sending.  I've taken the liberty of having mails which are showing receiving problems separated out to be dealt with separately.

Tim

@ModTeam - please see above post. The @ mention there didn't work properly