Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sending email using a mail client

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi,

If you're unable to send email through your mail client at the moment, and are receiving a message that says Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) could you please try changing your password for that address in My Virgin Media.

We're keen to see if this helps at all after we've carried out some work on the problem. Once you've updated the password, you'll need to update it in your mail client as well.

If the password change DOESN'T work, please post below to let us know. Please provide the following:

• Error Message seen in your mail client
  • Timestamp of the error

If your issue isn't related to a password error when sending email, please post a new thread so the Forum Team can look into things for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

132 REPLIES 132

satire
Tuning in

Hi,

I've changed the password of another one of my registered email addresses, then tried adding the account in Outlook 2016. I get the same smtp outgoing authentication window popping up unfortunately. 

thanks

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
@satire

It would help immensely to have the full error message but particularly the VMxxx code you are seeing in Outlook if one is seen.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When trying to send email from iPhone I get a "cannot Send email" message.
The username or password for .....@virginmedia.com is incorrect (but it is correct). I've tested it using webmail.

When trying to send email from Outlook 2016 I get a popup window asking me to enter my credentials.

Again, these work fine in webmail, it's only outgoing email that will not send for me when using iphone or outlook 2016. This stopped working on 8th June and has been down since. 

Server: smtp.virginmedia.com
username:xxxxxx@virginmedia.com
Password:*******

Thanks again

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
The first post in this thread also asked if you provide a time of password change so the team can track down the issue. Can you help on this as well please. The error message looks typical of the problem of failing SMTP authentication. Worried though that you are not seeing a VM300 code as well in the message. The VM Forum Team will pick this up shortly and get a look taken at your account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@satire 

Could you have a look at my post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237... - That will let you get the SMTP error message from Outlook.

Tim

The missing piece in the jigsaw - thanks Tim.

OK after a week or so of not being able to send from Outlook for my @blueyonder.co.uk I have just changed the password around 17.00 and all is working.

Hi,

I've just changed the password again at 18.55 but now getting "We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again" when adding the account in Outlook 2016. 

This is different to what I'm getting when adding my original (primary) email address. As mentioned earlier I get the SMTP error. 

Thanks

Hi Tim,

I can't gather the logs following the instructions from the link you provided.

As part of the troublshooting process I removed my VM accouts and can't add them in Outlook.

My primary address displays the pop up window asking for smtp password, and the secondary email address displays a different incoming message.

"we couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email adress and password and try again". 

I am logged onto webmail using this account so all is correct.

Thanks