cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print emails without blank pages

Essex52
Up to speed

Why, when I print emails from virginmedia.com/appsuite do I usually/always get a mostly blank first page and maybe one or two more mostly blank pages further down, instead of them printing out how they look in the app? I find this extremely irritating when I'm printing out email confirmations of my Tesco.com grocery orders!

How can I make emails print out as they appear in the app?

15 REPLIES 15

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The issue was found to only occur when using a Chromium based browser, i.e. Chrome, Microsoft's Edge, etc. Either use the browser's print dialogue to skip the first page or use a non-Chromium based browser, for example Mozilla's Firefox.

Thank you. The problem does indeed occur in Edge. I have been excluding page 1 and printing from page 2, but it is not a complete solution, as the Sender’s name and the date and time are excluded from the print. These details must be recorded in the document in work such as legal matters. This first line of detail can be copied and pasted into a blank Word document, the top margin reduced to Narrow, and the first page of the print returned to the printer so that the sender’s name and date can be printed at the top of the first page of the email. However, this is time consuming.

A better solution is to click on the three white lines in the small red box for More Actions, alongside Reply, Forward, and Delete, and select Save as File. The email will then be downloaded in a form which will print showing the Sender’s name and the date at the top of the email. It is not necessary to actually save the email as a file, unless required, as it will be stored in Downloads until automatically deleted. This method is also time consuming, compared with merely selecting the Print option, but it does provide a satisfactory print, when required. I hope this problem will be addressed before much longer and the print option In Virgin Outlook emails restored to how it was until recently. Is anyone actually looking at the problem with a view to resolving the issue?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CallmeK wrote:

I hope this problem will be addressed before much longer and the print option In Virgin Outlook emails restored to how it was until recently. Is anyone actually looking at the problem with a view to resolving the issue?

The issue needs to be addressed by either:

• the email sender to make their message print correctly under Chromium based browsers, i.e. workaround the bug

or:

• Report as a bug to either Chromium or a Chromium based browser provider like Microsoft Edge, to fix the issue. For this to happen you need to raise a bug report with them

Thank you, VIP. Will do.

You say you can choose save as file but there is no need to actually save it.... Well, I'm sorry but when I select save as file in Windows 10, the only option IS to save it as a file with the .eml extension. From there, one has to choose which program to open it with 😕 I tried Outlook and the email opened with no images 😕 I then tried to open it with Mail and there was no way to print it from there? 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Essex52 wrote:

save it as a file with the .eml extension. From there, one has to choose which program to open it with

That's right, it is the same with any file that you download unless you have default application set for that file type.

.eml files can only be opened by email clients or apps such as Microsoft Outlook and Mail or third party clients such as Thunderbird or Bluemail.

I then tried to open it with Mail and there was no way to print it from there? 

I only have Windows 11 so I don't know if Windows 10 is the same but in Win11 Mail once you have the email displayed in Mail you can get to the Print option from the 3 dots option in the very top right of the screen.

Alternatively, Ctrl+P opens the print option in most Microsoft applications including Mail.

Once you have printed the email you can then delete the .eml file in the Downloads folder because they is no need to keep it.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks