Menu
simonbalaam
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Possibly a common issue - Emails wont send over Wifi but are fine on 4G

Hello,

My mother in law is having issues with sending emails from her iPad via Wifi. (old NTL account) I looked and was not also able to send fron my NTL address when on her wifi. As soon as i dropped onto 4G or used another network there was no issue. Is there something I could be missing or can Virgin restrict outgoing emails from certain accounts?

Thanks in advance

Simon

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possibly a common issue - Emails wont send over Wifi but are fine on 4G

Hello

First of all I would check that you external IP has not been flagged as sending spam can you go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and make a note of the IPv4 address and then goto https://www.spamhaus.org/query and place the IPv4 address and query it. When you get the results if you are on just the PBL then there is no issues but I expect you to be either on the SBL or XBL if that is the case then something on the home network has been reported of sending spam and you will have to follow https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
simonbalaam
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So it is listed on XBL. Do we need that to be sorted then?

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes the XBL means that something on your local home network has a spambot , in my post there is a link that tells you how to find the SpamBot device, and then you will have to decide how you remove it.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums - I'm sorry for our delayed response from here and for the email issues your Mother-in-law has been facing.

Can you please let us know if you are still seeking any help with this? I'm happy to see that DJ_Shadow1966 was able to locate the route cause of the issue, but if you need anything else or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
simonbalaam
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

Yes the issue is still there as it's a problem with my in-laws and being in Tier 4 I am unable to go and look at it. Is there anything that can be done remotely?

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simon,

Thank you for getting back to me, I'm sorry to hear that this is still an issue for her.

The best thing to do first, would be to run a virus scanner on all devices that are connected to her home WiFi network. If she doesn't have any anti-virus software already installed on her devices, free anti-virus scanners can be found online, or she can sign up to Virgin Media Internet Security, powered by F-Secure where she can run a full virus scan from here.

If she has any fire sticks connected, she'll just need to disconnect these temporarily after running the scan, and then please ask her to try and send the emails again. Please let me know how she gets on after following this advice.

If you have any other questions about the above or anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos