Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 51 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible problems sending email.

The problem with switching to smtp.ntlworld.com is that some of the affected customers are reporting that it is that server that’s failing for them.

When I tested from home this morning, every server but smtp.virgin.net was working.

smtp.virgin.net connected and completed it’s TLS handshake, as did the other three servers, but it didn’t go on to give the SMTP greeting message.

What people don’t understand is how Virgin’s email gateway works.  When you connect to smtp.ntlworld.com for example, what happens is this.

The computer connects to smtp.ntlworld.com it completes the connection, the connection is then proxied to one of 16 actual smtp servers.  If you make successive connections quickly, the same gateway will connect to the same smtp server.  But if there is a larger delay then there is a possibility that the connection will go to a different one.

when you use a different server e.g smtp.virginmedia.com, the connection can also end up going to a different background server.

i believe that one or more of the 16 servers are not allowing the proxy to make the onward connection, however because some of them are allowing the connection, changing the server MAY allow a user to connect.

Certainly, while changing works for some, it doesn’t appear to work for everybody.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Manny3
Joining in
Message 52 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Same here
0 Kudos
Tig2
Tuning in
Message 53 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68wrote:

The problem with switching to smtp.ntlworld.com is that some of the affected customers are reporting that it is that server that’s failing for them.

When I tested from home this morning, every server but smtp.virgin.net was working.

smtp.virgin.net connected and completed it’s TLS handshake, as did the other three servers, but it didn’t go on to give the SMTP greeting message.

What people don’t understand is how Virgin’s email gateway works.  When you connect to smtp.ntlworld.com for example, what happens is this.

The computer connects to smtp.ntlworld.com it completes the connection, the connection is then proxied to one of 16 actual smtp servers.  If you make successive connections quickly, the same gateway will connect to the same smtp server.  But if there is a larger delay then there is a possibility that the connection will go to a different one.

when you use a different server e.g smtp.virginmedia.com, the connection can also end up going to a different background server.

i believe that one or more of the 16 servers are not allowing the proxy to make the onward connection, however because some of them are allowing the connection, changing the server MAY allow a user to connect.

Certainly, while changing works for some, it doesn’t appear to work for everybody.

Tim

Good explanation, Tim. Certainly makes sense.

0 Kudos
wmon
Joining in
Message 54 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have had this problem all day, despite restarts, reentering details etc

I am using virgin.net on Outlook: no problem sending on phone or webmail

Received a number of error messages (timed out; traffic busy; does not support secure connection(?), etc.)

outgoing server was smtp.virgin.net, but then tried smtp.virginmedia.com

domain is @virgin.net

0 Kudos
Woodcote52
Tuning in
Message 55 of 102
Flag for a moderator

My service is up and running again, using the same smtp.blueyonder settings.

Yipee!

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 56 of 102
Flag for a moderator

No problems here using IMAP ntlworld.com

but there is this: 

status.jpg

Send an email to yourself to test it.  If all is well you should get it almost immediately.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
BT1
Tuning in
Message 57 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Iam using Windows live mail
error message is 0x800ccc0f
outgoing server SMTP
the domain is @blueyonder
0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 58 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@BT1wrote:
Hi
Iam using Windows live mail
error message is 0x800ccc0f
outgoing server SMTP
@The domain is @blueyonder

For outgoing server you need to include the part which follows SMTP.

For example: smtp.virgin.net or smtp.ntlworld.com or smtp.blueyonder.co.uk or smtp.virginmedia.com

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
BT1
Tuning in
Message 59 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hi  Outgoing mail SMTP blueyonder.co.uk

The email has been down since 10.00 yesterday

lesleyp118
Joining in
Message 60 of 102
Flag for a moderator

We have been having the same problems with smtp.ntlworld.com over the last couple of days in the Apple mail app on iphone - unable to send anything. And it is not the first time these things have happened, which then magically fix themselves a few days later. Couldn't be bothered to try phoning helpdesk as they are never any use.  I appreciate some of the plausible explanations here, but in reality Virgin Media need to be on top of this and fix it, and communicate with its customers - we pay more than enough for their rubbish service.....  and isn't it a communications company?  (recently also had downtime with TV and broadband as well, which wasn't fun either).

I gave up with trying to make this work in the Apple mail app, and incorporated into gmail app, using the exact same smtp settings, and hey presto it worked !?!
Possibly the explanation of being directed to one of the servers which is actually working?

0 Kudos