cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please remove old virgin.net email forwarding rule

Greencar001
Tuning in

I had an @virgin.net account from my old dial up days, before I lost access to this account 3 years ago as part of the Virgin Media purge I set up a forward rule to send new email for the @virgin.net account to my new @outlook.com address.

This forwarding rule is still active, I am no longer a Virgin Media customer and the old virgin.net web URL I used to set up the forward is no longer working - how do I get this still active forwarding rule deleted as all i get from it is spam?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

Actually what's needed is for the old virgin.net mailbox itself to be deleted, obviously it still exists and is accepting email which the rule is forwarding on. The rules are associated with the mailbox itself and will carry on working while the mailbox is still there.

What would have already been deleted or disabled, is the second part of the setup, which is your user account which had access to this mailbox - and this is why you can no longer get to it to make changes but it still seems to be accepting mail. Think of it like a red pillar box where the slot is still open but the door has been welded shut. The box is still there and can accept new mail, there's just no means now of getting to it. Of course, ideally both would be deleted at the same time but for reasons probably related to VM being an amalgam or different companies and systems all merged together over the years with an IT system possibly being held together by the equivalent of some post-it notes and the engineers who understood it have long-since retired or been let-go.

And I only really mention all of this because it has managed to trip a couple of posters up who either don't or won't understand that although the mailbox might still exist and accept mail, the associated user account has gone so there's simply no way to access it.

Anyhow, I'll escalate this thread to the forum staff, one of which will offer to contact you for some details and raise a ticket to have the entire mailbox permanently deleted.

John

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

Actually what's needed is for the old virgin.net mailbox itself to be deleted, obviously it still exists and is accepting email which the rule is forwarding on. The rules are associated with the mailbox itself and will carry on working while the mailbox is still there.

What would have already been deleted or disabled, is the second part of the setup, which is your user account which had access to this mailbox - and this is why you can no longer get to it to make changes but it still seems to be accepting mail. Think of it like a red pillar box where the slot is still open but the door has been welded shut. The box is still there and can accept new mail, there's just no means now of getting to it. Of course, ideally both would be deleted at the same time but for reasons probably related to VM being an amalgam or different companies and systems all merged together over the years with an IT system possibly being held together by the equivalent of some post-it notes and the engineers who understood it have long-since retired or been let-go.

And I only really mention all of this because it has managed to trip a couple of posters up who either don't or won't understand that although the mailbox might still exist and accept mail, the associated user account has gone so there's simply no way to access it.

Anyhow, I'll escalate this thread to the forum staff, one of which will offer to contact you for some details and raise a ticket to have the entire mailbox permanently deleted.

John

Hi John

Thanks - yes if Virgin Media can delete the mailbox and that removes the forwarder that would be great ! 

Hi Greencar001,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

We are more than happy to submit a request to get the mailbox deleted. 

What I will do is private message you to get some information for this. 

^Martin

Done, but you might want to 'unmark' my post as being a 'helpful answer' - a quirk of the forum software means that this is often interpreted as being solved and I'm not sure if the forum staff will still see the email flag.

EDIT : Right forget all of the above, it seems that they do see it after all!

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Greencar001,

As confirmed, this has been logged for you and the mailbox should be removed within 5 working days.

^Martin

Thank you ! 

You're welcome, Greencar001.