cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

What an awful response to a major issue!

Why not just tag everyone in a single post?

Agree with @hotmud and @Andy99ba - this isn't an accurate description of what happened and it does not explain what the outcome of the investigation was. Surely we're entitled to at least some form of RCA?
Also, my account is not locked, either.

Apart from that...

Yes, i had to call me twice, but yes now it works, but noone seems to tell me if there was a data breach. They all keep quiet... wonder why? Do you know the reason and will there be a formal announcement by Virgin please 

My acct isn’t locked either.. I know this because I can read my emails. I’m going up ask Roger for advice next time 

Chromeboy
Tuning in

Hi

I'm a Virgin customer (ATM) and have been since the 1990s.  

My old virgin.net email accounts were   administered through the virgin media portal until Monday 14/11/22 at 5.37pm, when the infamous email hack from Roger at webteam was received and access stopped.

Access to the emails through pop/IMAP briefly came back online Tuesday-Thursday but has since stopped again.

I've been through customer services twice without success. 

The problem hasn't been fixed! 

Hi @Chromeboy 

We’re aware that a small number of customers reported that they had received an unexpected email regarding a password change. We have investigated the issue and locked affected accounts. To unlock an account customers should now contact our customer care team on 0345 454 1111 to set up a new password. We apologise for any disruption this has caused.

Thank you 

Mod Team 

My account isn't locked nor is the second what was affected and I feel with something as major as this a bit of transparency should be given considering how many agents as a whole we have all dealt with who have told us there isn't an issue.

@Asherd7 wrote:

My account isn't locked nor is the second what was affected and I feel with something as major as this a bit of transparency should be given considering how many agents as a whole we have all dealt with who have told us there isn't an issue.

Well, to be fair, the VM agents are simply third party, contracted call centre workers, whose entire knowledge of VM’s systems is nothing more than they read from the screen in front of them, I’d be considerably surprised if most of them have ever seen a VM hub in the flesh (so to speak), so I suspect that their actual knowledge of what is actually happening is slightly less than my cat has! Of course, there is always the rogue agent who happens to half overhear a conversation in the corridor and repeats what they think they heard to a customer. But, of course, always consider that the job of the call centre workers is to get you off the phone as fast as possible, and if that means relaying some gossip or, frankly, just make something up - well so be it, because the stats on how many closed calls are done per day is all that is important!

Now in this case, considering that I have worked in this industry for quite some time, a couple of things really do make me a little suspicious.

a) The lack of posts from members of the forum team, or indeed any of the VIP forum members. In itself this does smack of a bit of ‘oh something bad has happened, we don’t know how bad but for now just say nothing to anyone - pretend it hasn’t happened’. And of course the sanction for forum team members (VM employees) is disciplinary action, and for VIPs, well, the potential loss of whatever privilege they think it bestows, if they stray off message!

b) And now the obviously marketing/legal driven written response which does seem to have been shot gunned out to anyone posting about email lockout issues. Presumably the pressure has become so much that they feel the need to make ‘some’ kind of response - but, personally, whenever I’ve seen the phrase ‘a small number of customers’, that really sets the alarm bells ringing.

Now of course, there could be a perfectly innocent reason, failed server upgrade, faulty software update, someone pressed the wrong button - fine, these things happen, nobody and no company is perfect, [REMOVED] stuff sometimes happens! The lack of transparency and seemingly willingness to cover it up and hope that nobody notices is what drives companies into oblivion.

Just saying…..

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

sixfoottwo
On our wavelength

The reply is nothing but an attempt to calm users' fears.  However, it does not address what is happening, lessen worries or give any indication of the severity of the problem.  Meanwhile, we're all on tenterhooks as to what repercussions there may be to our online security.

Totally unacceptable response from virgin. My password was changed 3 times during this incident. Each time somebody could have had access to my account for hours before I was aware and it took over 30 minutes waiting on the phone to virgin to secure my account with a new password each. The raise a complaint option on virgin is just not working. So if nothing new from virgin by Monday it's time for https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/personal-information-complaint/