cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

Hey oakleyd,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your account, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

I see several posts about email accounts having passwords changed/

My Ntlworld account was affected last night. I have changed the password but I would like a security representative to contact me via DM to assure me that my account has not been compromised.

Thank you

It's happening to lots of people, I've had mine changed twice.

Read the forum and you will see lots of similar posts, I've tried I few of the suggestions on other posts such as changing auto sign in to 5 mins length, changing passwords and security question, I've also enabled fingerprint log in on my phone.

Hopefully these steps help

my account 2nd time has been hit.

KMM78822958V61715L0KM

roger for me now also.

please fix virgin your it security team need to be on this

Yes, it's happened twice so far.

The crazy thing is.......this is the only site that I know of that doesn't send an email to you asking

you to 'click the link' to verify that it was you who asked for the password to be changed.

Very poor security from Virgin and whats more worrying is they are in control of our internet access...........!

name still shows as me on my account, just not the email. all very confusing

It has happened twice in the last couple of days that someone has reset my password, I can see the emails saying 'Hello Roger' and 'Hello Philip' on the reset emails - neither of these names I recognise.

How can I stop this happening again please? 

I have the same problem - same names too...Philip and Roger...

First time I have used this forum from VM so I don't know if anyone from VM monitors this and reports up the chain to take action. Anyone here know?

I have also submitted an Email Account Hack to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/ but no response thus far 

Pumba
On our wavelength
  • I also have had the same with the names ‘Philip’ and ‘Roger’