cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

My password was changed too. The stupid thing is that they email you to tell you your email password has been changed. If there system worked properly, you would never be able to read that message.

I've changed my password, and asked my wife (who accessed my mail account a month ago on her mobile browser) to try and sign in.

She gets straight onto my email, no questions asked. So, I assume whoever changed my password is potentially sitting there still with access to my mail. She can even still send messages as me too!!!

Kadrevex
On our wavelength

Only reason I'm staying with virgin is because of the hassle of changing emails. If this doesnt get resolved quick, im gone.

I did ponder the same. Their lack of giving a dam about security is absolutely shocking. I didn't realise it was this bad. The password were probably stored unsecured too...

Yes same for me. I can't access via SMTP as the pwd has changed but i can login to webmail and sure enough, there's an email stating that my pwd has been changed. All the hacker has to do is sit there and then change it again. When you sign out, it should sign out ALL devices. It clearly doesnt.

I have been promised that "IT Support" are looking into it. If it happens again tomorrow I will exit and THIS WILL BE ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!

I am having the exact same issue. I reported it yesterday and was told that it was not hacked and it was secure. I changed pwd again (already done this twice prior)
Again, today, someone has changed my pwd (got the same email you did). Called the helpline and this time the guy admitted that it had been hacked and that he would contact IT Support.
My guess is that once someone has access, they can remain signed it, and even if you change your pwd, it does not sign out other devices, so the ycan just change it again. In fact I know this is the case as I could still access my WebMail even though SMTP no longer worked. When you change pwd, ALL SESSIONS should be terminated, They quite clearly are not!

I've been trying to change my security questions etc. There is some unknown phone number in the Account Details section. It the website won't let me change it. Just keeps saying "The changes you made were not saved". How are you supposed to secure your account if you change change vital details like this???

I've had 2 emails from <webteam@virginmedia.co.uk>

My name is not Roger or Philip.

I was however, locked out of my email yesterday and had to reset my password. I do not believe I was hacked or locked out, I think something was wrong VM end. My brother (at a different address) also had the same problem. Once he logged out of his email he was told his password was incorrect.

Virgin Media – you’ve updated your password (KMM78825686V64340L0KM)

Hello ROGER,

You have successfully reset your password.

You'll need to use the new password you've chosen wherever you use your My Virgin Media account to log in.

If you haven’t tried to reset the password for your My Virgin Media account and this wasn’t you, please contact us.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don’t pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don’t reply to this email address.

Virgin Media – you’ve updated your password (KMM78653034V30061L0KM)

Hello PHILIP,

You have successfully reset your password.

You'll need to use the new password you've chosen wherever you use your My Virgin Media account to log in.

If you haven’t tried to reset the password for your My Virgin Media account and this wasn’t you, please contact us.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don’t pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don’t reply to this email address.

Contact us links to https://www.virginmedia.com/contact

Not sure what's going on here... My PC is not infected, in fact I reinstalled Windows just today.

Are there problems on VM side?

It definetly seems like a hack at VirginMedia. I've had my password changed twice. Thing is, the browsers on mobiles and PC's seem to retain some kind of session. You can still view the emails and send/reply even when the password is changed. Pretty shocking...

Experiencing this too... I think VM have something wrong their end tbh.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Keep-getting-emails-about-changing-email-password/td-p/51...