cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

podgorny
On our wavelength

Hello,

my email password was reset, not by me and when I discovered this and changed it I found an email with a ticket number on it. However the email was addressed to someone with a different name than me! Can someone check the ticket and see what was going on? Is that even possible?

KMM78653187V30972L0KM

I would like to get to the bottom of it if possible  

Thanks  

The same thing happened to me.

Virgin Media – you’ve updated your password (KMM78652637V25280L0KM).

I would this is a serious problem Virgin.

Ok thanks. 

On the email where your password was initially changed, did it have your correct name? That email had a completely different name but the correct name when I changed my password myself. 

yes his name was Phillip, how anyone at virgin let this happen is beyond me

Well that’s weird because the name on my email was Phillip also…..

What’s going on? System error or mass hack????

legit hack has to be, so virgin  needs to get it together as my persistent password was changed,

DavidJester
Tuning in

Hi.

I woke this morning to an email at 6:48am telling me my password had been changed.  First thing I checked, was it Spam, no sadly not.  This change was outside of Customer Service hours so can only have been changed via some automated service.  I contacted Customer Services and a little over one hour later managed to get control back of my account.

The email I received was from Virgin Media Web Team<webteam@virginmedia.co.uk>

It also contained some kind of reference number, part of which I include here - KMM7875

I don't know what that reference is, so I'm not fully repeating it on an open forum.

I'd like to know how someone changed my password please?  Because I want to be reassured that it CAN NOT happen again.

Thanks.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst waiting for the forum team to respond to you post I am curious to know:

• was the password one that was shared with other accounts?
  • was the password one that has been involved in previous known data breaches; this can be checked here Have I Been Pwned: Pwned Passwords?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi @DavidJester,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post. 

Sorry to hear you experienced this with your email password. We can understand the Concern caused and we want to best help. Are you able to answer the questions asked by @用心棒? Also, just to clarify, what the account locked for security reasons or did the email state that the password had been changed?

Please get back to us when you can so we can best help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs