cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset - different name (Investigating)

aaaanditsgone
Tuning in

Hi,

My virgin media account password has been reset by someone else several times since last Friday. Shortly after it happens, I lose access to my email and have to reset the password to regain access. I have also changed the recovery answer to a long random string which didn't help.

Is there some kind of exploit with the password reset system that allows an attacker to bypass the recovery question? The last two password reset emails even show a different name to the one from my account.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Currently under investigation. Multiple threads merged]

331 REPLIES 331

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response.  That password was only used with that account, no others, not shared.  I use different passwords for different accounts so if one is compromised then I am protected to a degree.

The account was not locked for security reasons, the email stated only that the password had been changed.  I did login on another device to verify that this was indeed the case before contacting customer services.

Good Afternoon @podgorny, and I'm sorry to hear of this issue with the E-Mail account.

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I can look into this for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

btw it happened to me also , please look into this with me .more recently

loscassidy76
Dialled in

i got an email at 6am saying my pwd had been reset. luckly my laptop autosigned me in so i could change my password. however when i reset my pwd, a few mins later i got another dodgy email.

dodgy goings on email

Hello ROGER,

You have successfully reset your password.

You'll need to use the new password you've chosen wherever you use your My Virgin Media account to log in.

If you haven’t tried to reset the password for your My Virgin Media account and this wasn’t you, please contact us.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don’t pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don’t reply to this email address.

email after i reset my pwd

Hello,

Your My Virgin Media password has now been changed. You'll need to use your new password to sign in to My Virgin Media from now on.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

also both came from

webteam@virginmedia.co.uk

So was the sequence…

1. email to say password has been changed 

2. You change password

3. email to say password has been changed

4. You change password again

5. email to say password has been changed

If so, then (3) and (5) are legitimate messages. 

Paul

nbaker
Dialled in

I also have this problem.

I have been unable to access my email today and tonight managed to view emails through mail.virginmedia.com and noticed an email from webteam@virginmedia.co.uk which says:

Hello ROGER,

You have successfully reset your password.

You'll need to use the new password you've chosen wherever you use your My Virgin Media account to log in.

If you haven’t tried to reset the password for your My Virgin Media account and this wasn’t you, please contact us.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don’t pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don’t reply to this email address.

My name is Nigel, not Roger! and If I use the link provided I get the following message:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Any help is much appreciated.

Minimitts
On our wavelength

So, some how some one had changed my email password. 
after not getting any emails and constant errors I logged on and updated my password. There are 2 emails in my inbox saying my password was updated (not by me).

when you click on the link to say it wasn’t you..it doesn’t really give any answers to who/why this happened.. any ideas?

I have had exactly the same thing twice today. My password gets reset by itself (or someone is doing it), and then I get the email once I regain control of my email account "Roger". My phone number in My Account Details has also been changed, and I cannot change it back.

Support hung up the call on me when I said I believed their email servers had been hacked.

Whats going on? Is it a virus, or have Virgin been hacked?

more

1. email to say password has been changed to someone called roger ( and didnt notice )

2. could get in to emails

3. You change password

4. email to say password has been changed

5. hr later email to say password has been changed to roger again

6. changed password

7. email to say password has been changed