Menu
Highlighted
GeordieDave
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Password promt when sending from Outlook

As with several users on the forum I am also having trouble sending from Outlook. 

I too get the same error message:

2019.06.11 20:58:37 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

In my case the issue is only with my secondary account (used by my partner), my primary account is working fine. 

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the two accounts are set up differently in Outlook.  The primary account (that is working) is a POP3 account so incoming server is POP3.virginmedia.com and outgoing server is smtp.virginmedia.com.  The secondary account (not working) is a IMAP account so incoming server is imap.virginmedia.com and outgoing server is smtp.virginmedia.com.

I haven't changed any settings recently and the issue started on Saturday 8th.

From the various threads on this topic it looks like an issue at your end, could you give me an idea of when this will be fixed. 

JohnEdwards
Dialled in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Password promt when sending from Outlook

I'm on Thunderbird with ntl.world address, which was working fine until Saturday 8th June.

Since then, I'm receiving mail fine (on POP3), but have been unable to send any mail (on SMTP) - getting the password error prompt on every occasion. The log file shows the result: [23164:Main Thread]: D/SMTP SMTP Login response, code 535

From reading all the messages here, I realise that this is a server problem - apparently arising from VM maintenance 'that has overrun'! [Sounds like Network Rail's usual excuse!)]

I've wasted the whole evening trying to sort this out (and how many thousands of others have too?) before finding these messages - how frustrating that VM could't find a way of letting everyone know about the problem - AND when it's likely to be solved. [Network Rail at least seems to have understood the communication issue, at last.]

So come on VM - let's have a senior person responding NOW with reliable answers.I and many others need dependable access to a full email service right away.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi GeordieDave, 

Thanks for your post, it's great to have you as part of our community. 

I do apologise that you're having this issue along with JohnEdwards and other users, I can assure you the team is working on it and for further updates please keep an eye out here

I'm sure it will be sorted soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
JohnEdwards
Dialled in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your apologies.
However, your reply contained no useful information - especially as the 'sticky note' to which you linked:
a) contains no reference (in the heading or body) to our issue being confined to SMTP sending; and
b) says nothing of use (except to recognise that a problem exists - albeit under a wrong heading). Given that this issue is widely known to have been severely affecting customers since 7/8 June, it is quite unacceptable that the latest update (saying nothing) was on Tuesday - that's 2 days ago!
Surely with a problem of such widespread and critical impact, the latest information should be updated daily (at the very minimum) AND it should contain meaningful input from someone at a senior enough level to make it clear what the cause of the issue was and how it is being tackled - and when it is expected to be resolved. I'm afraid that your Team's (well-meaning) comments do not cut the mustard with the desperate people (probably a small percentage of those affected) who manage to find this forum - full of very unhappy (soon to ex-?) customers.
And why does this not show up when checking service status on your website (all I'm seeing for my area is a TV miniguide fault!!) - or when running your test?
PLEASE TREAT US LIKE ADULTS WITH SOME UNDERSTANDING OF IT MATTERS.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@JohnEdwards 

I'm not a Virgin Media employee myself, although I have tried to take steps to detail as close as I can, where the problem lies, so that they can be looking in the right place.

To that end I spent time writing in the SU Forum exactly what you guys were and weren't seeing.  I am disheartened that Virgin Media have not seen fit to update their sticky although I do know the issue was raised to the email teams directly since I have made my post.

I totally agree with your assessment, this is not a POP3/IMAP issue it is an SMTP issue.  To be more precise it is an issue with the LDAP backend that authenticates SMTP connections

There is a dirty hack that will enable you to send from a Virgin Media IP address. and that is to switch the outgoing settings in your email client  to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and turn off authentication.

You will only be able to send when connected to your home router via ethernet or wifi.  You won't be able to send when out and about mind you Smiley Sad

@ModTeam Can you PLEASE update users with what you guys are doing?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

MissPasko
Rising star
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

@ModTeam Can you PLEASE update users with what you guys are doing?

Tim

Maybe they are waiting for the person with the key to that system/server/room to return from holiday, and that is why they quoted the 17th to someone earlier this week! Smiley Wink  Smiley Frustrated

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
shteve
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On a purely comedy note, I just updated my other half's password to see if that would correct the outgoing email issue (hadn't checked here first or I wouldn't have bothered). Comedy part is that it then sends an email to them telling them that their password has been changed and that their old password will no longer work to access emails. Seems a fairly pointless email as they can't read it until they know the new password... And whilst we're on the subject of email passwords - any chance the restriction of 8-10 characters could be lifted?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@shteve wrote:

On a purely comedy note, I just updated my other half's password to see if that would correct the outgoing email issue (hadn't checked here first or I wouldn't have bothered). Comedy part is that it then sends an email to them telling them that their password has been changed and that their old password will no longer work to access emails. Seems a fairly pointless email as they can't read it until they know the new password... And whilst we're on the subject of email passwords - any chance the restriction of 8-10 characters could be lifted?

I take it it didn't correct the issue?

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@shteve 

With regards the "comedy aspect"

One thing a lot of people are unaware of is that if you go to https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view you can (and SHOULD IMHO) set up a different contact email address so that password change notifications and the like go there.

It's good practice to set this up.

shteve
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

How does that work for a sub account which this was?