cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password not recognised

Radar69
Tuning in

Hi, I am unable to gain access to my Virgin email as the sign in page will not recognise my password, which I know is correct. The only reason I was able to verify via my email to join this community board is because I view my messages through Thunderbird software. I need to access the Virgin interface to manage the spam folder. Why is my accurate password not being acknowledged, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add to the good advice already given…

If you are unable to access the Spam folder because the account was setup to use POP3 then consider creating a new profile in Thunderbird setup to use IMAP and use it to manage the Spam folder and then return to your initial profile when finished; be aware that unlike POP3 IMAP reflects changes made between client (Thunderbird) and server, i.e. copy / delete / move  a message and change will also occur on server. Read more about profiles here Using Multiple Profiles | Thunderbird Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Radar69 wrote:

Why is my accurate password not being acknowledged, please?

Do you still have a Virgin Media Broadband account and is that email account linked to it?

The reason I ask is that the situation you describe (not being able to access the email account via the VM website but still able to access it via an email app) often arises because VM are in the process of deleting the email account.

VM email accounts only come as part of their broadband package. Once the broadband contract has ended VM theoretically only allow any associated email accounts to be used for a further 90 days. In reality they often seem to allow these 'orphan email accounts to linger on for years before they get around to deleting them. Sadly, they never give any warning before deleting an orphan account.

The strange situation you describe arises because when VM close an email account the first step seems to be to delete the webmail account but leave the mailbox itself still open. That disables access to the account via the website but email apps such as Thunderbird access the mailbox directly so  they continue to work for a while.

The next step to take depends on the answer to the question at the start of this post.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add to the good advice already given…

If you are unable to access the Spam folder because the account was setup to use POP3 then consider creating a new profile in Thunderbird setup to use IMAP and use it to manage the Spam folder and then return to your initial profile when finished; be aware that unlike POP3 IMAP reflects changes made between client (Thunderbird) and server, i.e. copy / delete / move  a message and change will also occur on server. Read more about profiles here Using Multiple Profiles | Thunderbird Help

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your response. I am still a Virgin broadband customer and I log into my email via the Virgin interface frequently (or did). I use Firefox, which is set to clear cookies on closing and I clear out my temp files regularly. I simply do not understand why this is happening, when none of my practices (account status and software) have changed.Thanks for reading my post.

Thank you for your advice and I will look at changing the settings. I still want to know why I can't log into my Virgin email interface though - please bear in mind it isn't just the emails I can't log into, it is also the management of my Virgin Media account in general. Why has this happened? Can anyone tell me that at least, please? Thank you for reading my post.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In Thunderbird select ☰ > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Saved Passwords… > Shown Password, then Yes and confirm password is same as that tried with webmail. If the passwords are the same then try resetting it in case they are out of sync on the servers by going to Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media.

Hi, the passwords have to be in sync otherwise Thunderbird would request that I enter the password that matches the "parent" account. I have already tried resetting my password with Virgin via the forgotten password method, the software then refused to acknowledge the correct answer to my security question.

Can you tell me how I can get in touch with someone from Virgin via this community board please? Thanks.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forum team should be able to help; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

Hi Radar69, 

Welcome to the community.  

Sorry to hear that you've not been able to gain access to your My Virgin Media account. Can you advise if you are able to access your My Virgin Media account when using a different browser or device? Are you able to access through the app at all with your details? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley S,

Thank you for your message.I have resolved this issue by contacting Virgin 150. I am disappointed that no one has been able to tell me why this happened in the first place and that the Virgin process for verification, namely the security question, was absolutely worthless in this instance.

For the record, I did try another browser, to no avail. I do not use the app - as I have recently given up my smartphone (although I imagine I could use the app through my desktop, I have no intention of doing this). If any feedback is accepted through this medium, could Virgin please have a better system for recovery via the online approach. That said, the 150 customer service was prompt, efficient and friendly but I am slightly hearing impaired (which will deteriorate in time so the phone will no be an option in the future). Thanks for reading my post.