Menu
AnotherSteve
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Password failing twice

Hi,  my email password failed on Friday and again this morning.  I received a push notification on my Android phone asking me to submit my credentials each time.  I couldn't log on using a PC either.  On both occasions I have reset my password and followed the instructions at the link below.  There is no sign of anyone logging into my account or sending emails from it.  No bouncebacks, nothing in the sent items, no autoforward.  I've checked my Amazon account and there is nothing in the orders there either.  My bank accounts and credit cards look fine also.  A McAfee full virus scan found nothing untoward on my phone.  This is an ntlworld email address. On my phone it connects via the Gmail app.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

I would like to know if this is a problem with the email system or if someone is attacking my account?

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Password failing twice

A few other things to check and tell us:

Are you a current VM broadband customer?  Is the address showing in your billing account on the my profile, or manage accounts tab (see photos)?

Can you now get full service using webmail?  Is the problem on the phone to do with sending, receiving or both?  What is the exact error message?  Can you try using a PC email client that allows logging, Thunderbird is free and easy to set up (not sure about easy for logging).  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

my services.pngnew account.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
AnotherSteve
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help.

I am a current Virgin Media broadband customer.  My email address does appear on the My Profile page as the username and as the contact address.

I received an email when you replied to this topic so incoming emails are working.  I sent a test email to my work address and that stayed in the outbox for a minute before sending.  When I clicked on the outbox it said "queuing".  Emails usually go much more quickly so I tried a second time and that went within a couple of seconds.  Both emails were received.  Looks like everything is working.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact wording of the error message.  It said that I had to input my credentials.  When I did that it said the username or password was wrong. Username is unchanged but I have now changed the password twice.  The error messages were at around 12.30pm on Friday and 9.50 today.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

From what I have learned reading the forum, the gmail app (and many clients) approach the VM server, and no matter what error comes back, they present the same message to the user - "check your password/ credentials".  And it could be many different errors.

For instance, ravenstar68 mentions a few in this recent thread.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/can-t-send-email-using-smtp/m-p/4061414#M178703

You did the right thing to check your security!  And if it happens to you again, try the logging to get the exact error message and we can help you find out what to do.  Best wishes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'