cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Protection

Birdybloke
Tuning in

How do I password protect an outgoing email? I have an ntlworld email account. TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

alasdairc
On our wavelength

If you're wanting to password protect/encrypt the whole email contents, you can't without a service like Protonmail or Tutanota. However if you want to encrypt an attachment only, this can be done in many ways.

Email in transport is 99.99% of the time encrypted to stop MITM (man in the middle) attacks, however will be decrypted when it reaches the receiver

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

alasdairc
On our wavelength

If you're wanting to password protect/encrypt the whole email contents, you can't without a service like Protonmail or Tutanota. However if you want to encrypt an attachment only, this can be done in many ways.

Email in transport is 99.99% of the time encrypted to stop MITM (man in the middle) attacks, however will be decrypted when it reaches the receiver

Thanks alasdairc, I thought I was missing something. I have now used my gmail address and used confidential setting.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware that Gmail's Confidential feature does not (AFAICS):

• allow recipient(s) to securely reply to you
  • nor protect the confidentiality of the email if the recipient uses a third-party email account that is compromised

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks