cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Not Recognised (Again)

Mr_Crabbit
Dialled in

Hello,

My primary email account, a virgin.net one, stopped working again last night. I use the Outlook for Microsoft 365 email client to manage a number of email accounts. When Outlook was performing its "Send/Receive All Folders" routine I got a pop up asking me to "Enter your user name and password for the following server." The server, user name and password hadn't been changed so I left all settings as they were and clicked "OK". It appears I am locked out.

I tried to access the same account using my mobile phone without success. Next, I tried logging into web mail via My Virgin Media to be met with "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again" As far as I am concerned, the details entered are/were correct, so next I tried to reset my password as if it had been forgotten. This brings up a new "Reset your password" tab. I enter the email address that is having the issue and that brings up a new page that asks for my date of birth and the answer to my security question. I enter the details as requested and press the "Continue" button. Nothing happens. I press it any number of times and nothing happens. The foot of the page says "Having trouble? Please contact us and one of the team will help reset your password." I click on the link and I am taken to a page that suggests I call for support.

With a low expectation that this will resolve things, I pick up the phone and jump through the push button option hoops until I get to speak to someone. I describe the issue I am having and get a distinct feeling of deja vu when, as I mention virgin.net, the helper suggests I contact Talk-Talk(!) I mention that I'd had a similar conversation last October, the last time I had this issue, and tried to point out the futility of such an action. While hanging on the line as my helper tried to escalate my case, I eventually rediscovered this community forum via Google. I cannot find a link to here on the Virgin Media help and support page. Eventually my helper tells me that my case has been escalated to another member of the support team and someone will be in touch with me within the next five working days. This does not strike me as being very helpful, particularly as this account alone seems to me to have been blocked at Virgin Media's end. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can rectify this situation ASAP please?

Regards

33 REPLIES 33

Hi @Paulina_Z,

Five weeks in, this is the current state of play. The reset Forgotten Password page still does not work for my virgin.net and ntlworld.com email addresses, be they primary or secondary addresses. Clicking on "Continue" still gets me nowhere in each case.

Still uselessStill useless

I have my original Virgin Net account and also an uninterrupted Virgin Media account. Thanks to your colleague Ryan changing my password, I now have access to my primary virgin.net email. I can sign in to my Virgin Net home page using my new password, as I could before.

Virgin Net HomepageVirgin Net Homepage

I can now use the "Check emails" button that I couldn't before. The "Update settings" page takes me here:

Primary Account SettingsPrimary Account Settings

The only button that works is "Online security" (because it is trying to sell another service?) The other three, Account details, WiFi hotspots & Marketing preferences still bring me here:

OopsOops

As I am unable to access my Account details, I am unable to change my password; a situation I am uneasy with. Logging in to my Virgin Net account with a secondary email address gets me here:

Secondary HomepageSecondary Homepage

If I click on "Update settings" I get here:

Secondary Account SettingsSecondary Account Settings

The "Account details" button still works correctly and lets me change the password if I want. The WiFi hotspots button does not work and I get the "Oops" page.

As far as my Virgin Media account goes, I can login to my Primary and Secondary homepages using my ntlworld.com addresses and everything there works as it should. Fortunately, in this instance, clicking on "Update settings" then "Account details" gets me to the pages that allow me to change my password for both my Primary and Secondary email addresses. Please bring the defective web pages to the attention of your Web Team. I am sure it will save you and your customers a lot of time and frustration. I notice the "Forgotten Password" page in particular still seems to spawn new threads every day.

Thank you,

Mr_Crabbit

This week's update.

While banging on about the still defective "Forgotten your Password" tab in the "Managing Your Account - Cable" board, I logged in to my Virgin Net account to see if I could access the "Account details" page in the "Account settings" page. It now works! As does "Marketing preferences". "WiFi hotspots" doesn't work but I can live with that. A big thank you and well done to the Web Team!

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mr_Crabbit

Thanks for your reply and good morning to you.

Great to hear you've been able to access your account now! Please do be sure to contact us if you require any further assistance. Are those two tabs not working on an alternative browser?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Travis_M,

I cannot get the tabs to work using Microsoft Edge Version 103.0.1264.44 & Internet Explorer Version 21H2 on my Windows 10 PC, Safari on my iPhone & Chrome Version 95.0.4638.74 on my old Hudl 2 tablet. TBH I think the problem is more fundamental than a browser compatibility issue.

All the best,

Mr_Crabbit