cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Not Recognised (Again)

Mr_Crabbit
Dialled in

Hello,

My primary email account, a virgin.net one, stopped working again last night. I use the Outlook for Microsoft 365 email client to manage a number of email accounts. When Outlook was performing its "Send/Receive All Folders" routine I got a pop up asking me to "Enter your user name and password for the following server." The server, user name and password hadn't been changed so I left all settings as they were and clicked "OK". It appears I am locked out.

I tried to access the same account using my mobile phone without success. Next, I tried logging into web mail via My Virgin Media to be met with "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered. Please try again" As far as I am concerned, the details entered are/were correct, so next I tried to reset my password as if it had been forgotten. This brings up a new "Reset your password" tab. I enter the email address that is having the issue and that brings up a new page that asks for my date of birth and the answer to my security question. I enter the details as requested and press the "Continue" button. Nothing happens. I press it any number of times and nothing happens. The foot of the page says "Having trouble? Please contact us and one of the team will help reset your password." I click on the link and I am taken to a page that suggests I call for support.

With a low expectation that this will resolve things, I pick up the phone and jump through the push button option hoops until I get to speak to someone. I describe the issue I am having and get a distinct feeling of deja vu when, as I mention virgin.net, the helper suggests I contact Talk-Talk(!) I mention that I'd had a similar conversation last October, the last time I had this issue, and tried to point out the futility of such an action. While hanging on the line as my helper tried to escalate my case, I eventually rediscovered this community forum via Google. I cannot find a link to here on the Virgin Media help and support page. Eventually my helper tells me that my case has been escalated to another member of the support team and someone will be in touch with me within the next five working days. This does not strike me as being very helpful, particularly as this account alone seems to me to have been blocked at Virgin Media's end. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can rectify this situation ASAP please?

Regards

33 REPLIES 33

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I haven't followed your whole thread, but you are wrong in saying that gmail doesn't work or Thunderbird.  It does.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-gmail

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Dear jpeg1,

It seems obvious you haven't followed my whole thread. If you had, you'd see chat here about Gmail or Thunderbird has nothing to do with me.

Regards,

Mr_Crabbit

Comments made relating to Gmail and Thunderbird were made by ped55 who had piggybacked onto your thread.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thank you Sololobo,

Re marking a post as helpful, we live and learn. In future I won't do it until my issue has been resolved, no matter how helpful a comment has been. Can it be retracted, and if not by me, by you? I fear I won't be able to mark a subsequent comment as helpful any time soon.

Regards,

Mr_Crabbit

If only I'd looked at the "Post options" options! Sorry.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Mr_Crabbit,

Welcome back, thanks for the update.

I can see that the previous agent you was speaking with, raised this with our IT team. Seems it has been resolved previously, have you tried resetting your password? Clearing cache and cookies on your devices?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello Hayley_S,

I don't understand what you mean by "...it has been resolved previously..." I had this issue last October and it was resolved then by changing my password, that's what I mean by resolved. Since then, the facility to change passwords is no longer available to me from this end using virgin.net and ntlworld.com email addresses thanks to what I consider to be defective web pages. My browser's cache is cleared each time I close it, I have just cleared my cookies, logged into my Virgin Net account and I still cannot see my email, or account details. For the umpteenth time, using the forgotten password page to reset it DOES NOT WORK.

Regards,

Mr_Crabbit

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mr_Crabbit,

I apologise for the confusion with this. I can see that you've got this sorted in PMs with Ryan. In regards to the Forgotten Password page not working, I'll get this fed back to our Web Team.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi @Reece_MH,

Thank you for your concern with this matter. Your team member Ryan did indeed sort out access to my email account by changing its password.  Thank you also for passing on the fact that the Forgotten Password page does not work to your Web Team. Unfortunately the "Account details" page under "Update settings" on my Virgin Net home page still doesn't work either. Please inform the Web Team of that fact too as I am still unable to change my password to one that suits me.

Regards,

Mr_Crabbit

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mr_Crabbit,

Thank you for coming back to us and thank you for letting us know that our colleague has been able to help resolve your email access issue. 

Thank you for your feedback and we will pass this onto our internal team to have investigated and to have this issue corrected. 

If you need any further assistance, please let us know. We're here to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs