Menu
cstee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Outbound email getting connection dropped

When trying to send emails from Outlook on my iMac, I get this error - "Connection to the server failed or was dropped" with error code -3253

This started over the weekend, emails were going OK on Friday.  I haven't made any changes to account settings.

This is for my virgin.net email address.  Anybody know if there were changes at the Virginmedia end over the weekend?

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outbound email getting connection dropped

A few things to check first:

• Are you a current VM broadband customer?
  • Is the virgin.net email address linked to your billing account?  - it would show on the my profile page (scroll down to my services), or manage accounts tab.
  • Can you sign in and access the mailbox via webmail?  - click the link at the top of any VM or VM community page.
  • Is the address showing valid if you run it through https://mailtester.com?

As the problem is currently with outgoing, are you able to check the logs for the VMxxx error code which might help us to diagnose more accurately.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

(not sure if those instructions work for MACs, but someone else will know or you can google it.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cstee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It appears to be because I had my VPN turned on, seems to be OK now

cstee
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Seems I spoke too soon, sending is working but receiving is now getting the same error!

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There seems to be an intermittent fault affecting access to the pop3 servers today.  There have been a number of posts about it and I am seeing it with my connections as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks