Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orphaned virgin.net account

LittleHobbit
Joining in

Hi there

I am a new Virgin Media account holder having moved into a rented home in UK

I have used my ......@virgin.net account since 1999

About 10 days ago without notice, I could not log in, as if I was using the wrong password. When I tried to to change the password I was asked the security question about my mother's maiden name, and even though I know it well, the name (with upper OR lower case 1st letter) + my date of birth was not accepted.  Further, I was asked the date and bill amount of my most recent my VM account bill - as a very new VM customer I could give my account number and area but not the bill date and and amount.

The virgin.net account contains loads of messages and is still my address on numerous company sites where I need support

How do I get back in to download or transfer the data to a new email account?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

As has been said if you were not a VM customer your email address should of been deleted 90 days after you left.

This often doesn't;t happen and you get a free email address wrongly but they can be deleted at any time when the system detects it not linked to a paid for VM account and cleans up the old mail boxes.

If this has happened and its been deleted there will be no way to recover it and you will not be able to register the same email address again.

If it is however still active and you can pass security on both the old account and ew account. (unlikely if its that old that VM will be able to confirm you as the old account holder) then it can be linked to your new account but it will delete your current email addresses and replace them with the old ones.

Use of email has always been dependant on an active virgin media account., This has always been in the T&C even back to the dialup days.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @LittleHobbit and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your email account, you said that you are a new customer with us and still been using an Virgin.net email account.

Have you been with us previously and now come back to us? If you left your Virgin.net email address should have been closed down 90 days after you were disconnected from our services. if that is the case we won't be able to re-open your mailbox, the only option we have open to us would be to fully close your email account down.

Regards

Steven_L

Hi Stephen

I signed up as [MOD EDIT: REMOVED] in the Autumn of 1999. I chose it because it was free!

It has been my principal, trustee email address since then.

Suddenly - on or about 14th October - I could no longer log into the account - or change the password, (despite knowing that my mother's maiden name was "Williams or Williams, and my date of birth is 28 Feb

This stoppage happened right in the middle of moving house when I had mail merge messages primed to set off at the end of October

I desperately need to get back into the account!!!

Cheers

Niall (Little Hobbit).

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Anonymous
Not applicable

As has been said if you were not a VM customer your email address should of been deleted 90 days after you left.

This often doesn't;t happen and you get a free email address wrongly but they can be deleted at any time when the system detects it not linked to a paid for VM account and cleans up the old mail boxes.

If this has happened and its been deleted there will be no way to recover it and you will not be able to register the same email address again.

If it is however still active and you can pass security on both the old account and ew account. (unlikely if its that old that VM will be able to confirm you as the old account holder) then it can be linked to your new account but it will delete your current email addresses and replace them with the old ones.

Use of email has always been dependant on an active virgin media account., This has always been in the T&C even back to the dialup days.

Bear123
Joining in

I am also having issues with an undeleted orphaned virgin.net account from many years ago. I cannot access the account myself, but still receive spam etc, the account is now being hacked. I joined the forum to query this issue, but find I am not  allowed to post on here, please can someone direct me to help, I URGENTLY need this account closing. 

I have tried to get help to resolve this via Virgin Media phone help and text  help and online chat, but so far failed. 

Please help. 

Hi Bear123, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you were having trouble posting. I can see you have managed to do this now 🙂

We can raise an IT Ticket to get this account deleted by them. I will just need to confirm some information with you in order to get this done. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Bear123, 

Thanks for your patience on this. The IT Team have come back to confirm the account has now been deleted for you. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you so much for your help, KathF, thanks for acting so quickly to sort the problem.