cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing email issue - mailbox not available

CountyGirl
On our wavelength

Like many others I am having issues with my email. 

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

This happended yesterday - I changed my password as the advice suggested, waited 15 minutes and was back in. All good. Until this morning. Same thing.

Please tell me I don't have to change my password every day just to access my emails. 

I am using a Mac, with Apple mail client. I am a fully paid-up customer and I can't access emails via the web either. 

Grateful for any assistance. 

thanks 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CountyGirl wrote:

the error message has reverted back to the original now.

Ok, the reason for the "Your mailbox is not available at the moment" error message is usually due to the fact that VM have locked the email account because they have seen evidence that the email account has a "security issue" such as someone-else gaining access to the account.

Unfortunately, a few recent posts here make me suspect that perhaps VM's security checks have become a bit over sensitive which might explain why you account has been locked twice in a short space of time. I stress that's just my opinion, I do not have any insider information on that.

What I would do if I was in your position would be to try resetting your password again (sorry I know it's a pain 😕). However if that allows you to regan access to the webmail account I would strongly suggest that you carry out all the steps outlined here as soon as possible https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked . That will make your webmail account as secure as it can be from any future hacking attempts.

One of the steps in that link is to check the "Autoforward" settings. I would also strongly suggest that when you do that you also check for any "Filter rules". You will see that option in the same menu as "Autoforward",

By the way, there was logic behind my question as to whether you are still a VM Broadband customer. Firstly, I always fear the worst when people report that their phone is still picking up emails but they cannot access their Webmail account.

Secondly, I did see that you had said you  were a "fully paid up customer". Unfortunately some ex VM broadband customers think that still having a Virginmobile phone contract entitles them to keep their Virgin Media account alive. Sadly, it doesn't.  Any way thanks for confirming you are a current Virgin Media customer.

So try my advice about resetting your password and then securing your account.

If that does not work, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.  They will be able to help you to get this sorted.

Hope that all makes sense. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

CountyGirl
On our wavelength

Ok, this is weird. Even though everything indicates that the email isn't working and there is no connection to the email account - 3 emails just came through on my Mac. They aren't coming through on my iPhone, and I still can't access webmail (but the web mail error message has changed).

Now I am totally confused.  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CountyGirl wrote:

I still can't access webmail (but the web mail error message has changed). 

Two questions come to mind.

1)  What error message are you now  seeing when you try to access the webmail account?

2) Do you still have a Virgin Media broadband account?  The reason I ask is that still having email access via  an email client or app (which is what I am assuming you are using on your Mac) but not being able to access the webmail account itself is a symptom of the VM  email account being closed. That can happen when the email account is no longer attached to a live broadband account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for replying

1) the error message has reverted back to the original now. Sorry, can't remember what it said when it changed. 

2) Yes, I tried to make that clear in my post when I said I am a fully paid-up customer. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CountyGirl wrote:

the error message has reverted back to the original now.

Ok, the reason for the "Your mailbox is not available at the moment" error message is usually due to the fact that VM have locked the email account because they have seen evidence that the email account has a "security issue" such as someone-else gaining access to the account.

Unfortunately, a few recent posts here make me suspect that perhaps VM's security checks have become a bit over sensitive which might explain why you account has been locked twice in a short space of time. I stress that's just my opinion, I do not have any insider information on that.

What I would do if I was in your position would be to try resetting your password again (sorry I know it's a pain 😕). However if that allows you to regan access to the webmail account I would strongly suggest that you carry out all the steps outlined here as soon as possible https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked . That will make your webmail account as secure as it can be from any future hacking attempts.

One of the steps in that link is to check the "Autoforward" settings. I would also strongly suggest that when you do that you also check for any "Filter rules". You will see that option in the same menu as "Autoforward",

By the way, there was logic behind my question as to whether you are still a VM Broadband customer. Firstly, I always fear the worst when people report that their phone is still picking up emails but they cannot access their Webmail account.

Secondly, I did see that you had said you  were a "fully paid up customer". Unfortunately some ex VM broadband customers think that still having a Virginmobile phone contract entitles them to keep their Virgin Media account alive. Sadly, it doesn't.  Any way thanks for confirming you are a current Virgin Media customer.

So try my advice about resetting your password and then securing your account.

If that does not work, one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.  They will be able to help you to get this sorted.

Hope that all makes sense. 😉

Coenoby

Thanks so much for your help. 

I have done as you suggested. There was nothing untoward in any of the settings. So, I am unsure why there seems to be an issue. 

I will just have to wait and see what happens over the next day or so I suppose. 

Much appreciated, thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@CountyGirl wrote:

Thanks so much for your help. 

No problem, I'm just pleased you could get back in.

I hope that you don't get locked out again, If you have changed the password and your "security questions", as advised in that link, it should help keep any bad guys out. 😉

Coenoby

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi CountyGirl,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forum, I'm sorry that you're having some issues with your email account!

I'd just like to extend a thank you to @coenoby for all the help that he has provided so far! I can see that you've recently reset your password, how are things looking for you at the moment? Are you having any more issues?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

All ok today thanks. 

Thanks for the update @CountyGirl, and we're pleased to hear this is now resolved for you 

Do feel free to come back to us here on the Forums if you have any further issue

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

p.s. Come on County! 😄