Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On Virgin Media email Cannot attach files or insert image into outgoing mail

When I have problems with Thunderbird I use my online ntl account to send mail. However this I can no longer use. I cannot attach files to the message or insert an image from file. At this point I fall back on my gmail account where everything works just fine.

I certainly do not want to abandon my Thunderbird account which I have been using for eons. Any words of wisdom out there?

Thanks

Rod

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Virgin Media email Cannot attach files or insert image into outgoing mail

I sometimes wonder. Remember we can't see what you are seeing. We can only rely on what you tell us. Your description is hard to follow. I'll have try and interpret it as best I can.

You don't have a T/bird account. T/bird is simply the program you use to access your e-mail account(s).  You can access the address using an e-mail program like T/bird or using VM's own web mail interface. Which works and which doesn't? 

What size is the attachment you are trying to send in T/bird or in web mail. VM have attachment size and sending llimits. Large attachments clog up the e-mail system. Best to use a cloud system of access if you have very large attachments.

Do you or do you not have a NTLword address linked to a live, paid for and current VM broadband account?  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Virgin Media email Cannot attach files or insert image into outgoing mail

@RodOwen wrote:

When I have problems with Thunderbird I use my online ntl account to send mail. However this I can no longer use. I cannot attach files to the message or insert an image from file. At this point I fall back on my gmail account where everything works just fine.

I certainly do not want to abandon my Thunderbird account which I have been using for eons. Any words of wisdom out there?

Thanks

Rod

You said yesterday that you are in the States: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/error-453-Thunderbird-blocked-by-too-may-recipients-VM502...

Reading your message today - it sounds like you are having trouble attaching a file when using webmail, which we advised as an alternative. (does the blue text mean you can no longer use webmail or no longer use Thunderbird - sorry, I cannot tell)

What browser are you using, is it up-to-date?  After clicking Compose, do you see this red word Attachments?  Clicking on that should bring up an explorer file window.

attachment.PNG

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh well spotted @MissPasko. Kudos to you for filling in the gaps.

And @RodOwen  read this, attachment size limits for web mail.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-add-an-attachment-to-an-email

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your time in explaining the difference between TB and VM. The Word file I attached was 61.4 KB. I have today downloaded the latest TB version 68.2.0 I am hoping the answer lies within this download. I have just tested TB with the said attachment and that flew like a bird.

However when using VM online to send a message with the same attachment, I get no response when clicking on Attachments, or clicking on Insert Image.

Rod Owen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi MissPasko,

Thanks for your help. The Blue text has no significance at all, not even sure how it became Blue. Clicking on both Attachments as you show, and Insert image produces nothing but silence. As  far as I remember this has not happened before.

Rod

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Browser issues like this usually respond to a simple measure. Clear your browser cache and virginmedia cookies and try again. I have also sent you a link (above) to the size limits help page.

But it is complete madness to try and use VM web mail or VM mail via T/Bird for that matter to send attachments from the USA. The country is a source of spam and VM impose severe sending restrictions on the use of their mail system fro mail sent from outside the UK. Stick with GMail when you are roaming abroad or, if you must use VM mail, use something like GoogleDrive or OneDrive to share docs and large attachments.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@RodOwen wrote:

Hi MissPasko,

Thanks for your help. The Blue text has no significance at all, not even sure how it became Blue. Clicking on both Attachments as you show, and Insert image produces nothing but silence. As  far as I remember this has not happened before.

Rod

I hope that HowardML's advice on clearing the browser history solves your problem and that you send the emails you need to send!  I know that when we visit the USA, my husband is similarly frustrated by the limits.  He writes lovely emails and attaches a few photos and it gets blocked!  So we know how you feel.

(BTW, I changed the colour of the text to blue when I quoted you.  It was to specify which part of your post I did not understand, as "this" I can no longer use could have referred to Thunderbird or webmail.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your Blue text refers to can no longer use web mail

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That was useful feedback about not using VM when here in the States. I have been using TB and VM for the past 20 years and not been told that before, so will still with Gmail until back home.