Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old domains being removed?

WelshGasman
Superfast

Just found out purely by accident that apparently the domains

ntlworld.com

blueyonder.co.uk

and another old domain are going to be removed in the near future, leaving customers high and dry?

Not impressed with that I have to admit. 😈

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

And where did you hear that from?

From someone who works at Virgin?

However as this might get that person into trouble, I think it best if this thread is deleted.

So mods, please delete.Posted in frustration TBH

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Here's the official response to the question from a while back

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Retirement-of-NtlWorld-Email-Addresses/m-p/4826263#M22485...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Well TBH that did not help much Ben.😐

If I was going to ve be moved to a virginmedia.com address, my actual prefix the xxxx..xxxx is already taken, so you have to have something else and ALL the inconvenience of what that entails?

I was helping a friend yesterday, get online with BT and mentioned exactly this problem, if you move from your ISP, you lose your email address, so a gmail address would be better. However he was adamant he would not be leaving, but before we could set up his BT account, we had to create a non BT email address, as the BT system expects an email address as the userid, so what comes first, the chicken or the egg?😀

So I had to create a gmail address to be able to setup his BT account, then setup a BT email address in that account and then change the account to use the BT address for logging in????

I sometimes wonder who thinks up this nonsense. 🙄

So now it seems, even if you are a loyal customer and stick with you ISP, you can still lose your email address?
I have been with NTL since the 1p dialup days. I could not even tell you all the places I have used my ntl address. Not every supplier etc contacts you regularly, so hard to know where to go and change the address.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@WelshGasman wrote:

So now it seems, even if you are a loyal customer and stick with you ISP, you can still lose your email address?

I thought this was pretty clear

"I can confirm we have no plans to retire any of our existing email domains. Email accounts remain active for the duration of your subscription with us and are closed 90 days after leaving us."

Regarding the bit around moving older domains to virginmedia.com, that never happened and there no plans to now do it.

All older domain addresses are blocked out for the virginmedia.com equivalent, and while a version exists on any of the older domains (ntlworld.com / blueyonder.co.uk / virgin.net), no-one can set it up on virginmedia.com.

Hmm, I suppose we will just have to wait and see?

Seems strange that Virgin employees would impart this information, if it was not true?

At least I can take some comfort in not getting someone into trouble for any early announcement they might have made.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There has been some conflation and confusions around the activity for ex-customer addresses being closed, which is impacting legacy domain email addresses, and all legacy email addresses being closed.

But my understanding is that reminder briefs have got out to frontline teams to make it clear that it is only those email addresses that are not connected to active Virgin Fibre broadband services that are being closed to align with the terms of service, and not everything.

Hi BenMcr,

Having seen all the posts on this site, from ex customers who just recently have lost their email, I would probably concur. 🙂

However that was not what I was told, hence my initial query. So not everyone on the front line knows the real situation.?

Perhaps it should be clarified, as the tech definitely knew I was a current customer?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi WelshGasman,

To explain, if you are not an active Virgin Media customer who holds a broadband account with us, then your email address will end. It normally ends 90 days after your broadband contract ends, however sometimes they can take a whole to be deactivated. Once an email address has been removed it cannot be activated or used again.

We will not be deleting the email addresses of active broadband customers.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Serena