cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Sky email address not working since July

MartinBeard1
Joining in

Hi All, I have just opened this Community account so please excuse any errors or ignorance I show. I am NOT tech minded.

My old Sky email account stopped working at the end of July (that is the date of the last incoming email) and when I click on it I get the message 'the user name or password for ........ .com is incorrect'. It offers OK or SETTINGS as options.

It is an old account but has worked fine via Virgin for several years.

At settings when I try to change the password it ignores me and repeats the first message. That is as far as I can get.

I have read the posts re closing old email accounts but mine stopped working before the October start date for that.

Any suggestions on how I can rescue it please.

Thanks Easily Confused.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Just to clear up is the email address that ends in @sky.com or is this your account with Virginmedia. If you are talking about your actual emails then VM cannot help you regain access to a sky.com email address, you would need to contact sky.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

MissPasko
Super solver

Not sure this is a Virgin Media problem, although happy to stand corrected.  Can you use the sky address via other means - do they have webmail?  Have you tried support via sky itself?

The general info here is that it should work indefinitely. https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-old-email-address-ask-our-expert

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Just to clear up is the email address that ends in @sky.com or is this your account with Virginmedia. If you are talking about your actual emails then VM cannot help you regain access to a sky.com email address, you would need to contact sky.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MissPasko
Super solver

Not sure this is a Virgin Media problem, although happy to stand corrected.  Can you use the sky address via other means - do they have webmail?  Have you tried support via sky itself?

The general info here is that it should work indefinitely. https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-old-email-address-ask-our-expert

Thanks DJ, the email does end sky com.

The sky email address has been working for years via my Virgin email account which is why I thought Virgin might be the problem.

I will contact Sky.

Thanks

Thanks MissPasko

I'm going to contact Sky, although I too thought it would work indefinitely.

Sky was hacked a while ago and O wondered if this problem is part of that.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

First confirm you can access the sky emails via their website, or setting it up in an email client (a programme that accesses and shows you emails and allows you to send them) on your devices (PC, tablet, smartphone).

Then if you are still having problem using VM webmail as a client to view the sky emails, come back here and there are community users familiar with how to set that up.  We'll be able to help you self-check your settings and get it working.

(I do not know if any sky data breach could be responsible for this - check with Sky)

FYI - Closing old email accounts by Virgin Media applies to virginmedia (and legacy domain) email addresses that are used by FORMER customers of VM.  When the VM broadband account closes, the email address should terminate after 90 days.  This rule should have nothing to do with your sky.com address.

Anankha
Problem sorter

Are you using sky's own servers or their newer yahoo servers?

These are the settings I have:
imap.mail.yahoo.com Port 993
smtp.mail.yahoo.com Port 587
ssl on

Addendum: You may require an app specific password if the email client is old:
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/secure-your-sky-yahoo-mail-account

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

MartinBeard1
Joining in

Hi All,

Profuse apologies for not replying sooner. I don’t have much of an excuse either. 
Your answers to my problem proved successful and in the ‘excitement’ of being able to access a LOT of emails I forgot to thank you.

Whilst clearing out all my emails today I’ve found your replies.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Still quite Easily Confused

No worries, glad to hear all is well. 

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia