cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old NTLworld hacked

Joey2425
Joining in

I was a virgin media customer for over 25 years and left due to moving.  Both mine and my husband lost our ntlworld email.  We have still been receiving emails but can’t access to change passwords. My email has been hacked and accounts compromised. Also lost my Facebook with all my memories. Need help to permanently delete both accounts

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joey2425 wrote:

I was a virgin media customer for over 25 years and left due to moving.  Both mine and my husband lost our ntlworld email.  We have still been receiving emails but can’t access to change passwords.

According to the terms and conditions of Virgin Media's broadband service, 90 days after a VM broadband account is terminated VM should delete any email accounts.

The main reason for that is VM email accounts were always provided as part of a VM broadband account package, or in the very beginning, as part of Virgin.net's old (pre broadband) dial up internet service. They were never provided as stand alone email accounts.

In the past they often seemed to forget  to do that. However, VM stopped issuing new email accounts over a year ago and since then they do seem to be catching up and deleting these old email accounts.

However, it seems that deletion process often fails to complete which results in the situation where you cannot access the webmail account but the mailbox itself still exists. That means the email account can still be accessed by email apps such as Microsoft's Mail / Outlook apps & other third party email apps. It also means that if you set up an auto forward from the VM email account, it will continue to forward emails to your new address.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange to have your old email accounts completely deleted and one of them will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

@ChrisS7  I have also replied to you directly on your own thread

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

ChrisS7
Tuning in

I've had exactly the same issue recently (arround 11th-12th May).  The fact that the passwords cannot be reset is very poor, especially when a lot of these accounts will be very old, from a era when password complexity wasn't a 'thing'.

Come on Virgin Media - this is becoming obvious that its a known security flaw in the criminal world with the ntlworld.com emails and needs to be addressed asap.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joey2425 wrote:

I was a virgin media customer for over 25 years and left due to moving.  Both mine and my husband lost our ntlworld email.  We have still been receiving emails but can’t access to change passwords.

According to the terms and conditions of Virgin Media's broadband service, 90 days after a VM broadband account is terminated VM should delete any email accounts.

The main reason for that is VM email accounts were always provided as part of a VM broadband account package, or in the very beginning, as part of Virgin.net's old (pre broadband) dial up internet service. They were never provided as stand alone email accounts.

In the past they often seemed to forget  to do that. However, VM stopped issuing new email accounts over a year ago and since then they do seem to be catching up and deleting these old email accounts.

However, it seems that deletion process often fails to complete which results in the situation where you cannot access the webmail account but the mailbox itself still exists. That means the email account can still be accessed by email apps such as Microsoft's Mail / Outlook apps & other third party email apps. It also means that if you set up an auto forward from the VM email account, it will continue to forward emails to your new address.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange to have your old email accounts completely deleted and one of them will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

@ChrisS7  I have also replied to you directly on your own thread

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Joey2425
Joining in

OMG. Virgin media can’t get any worse. Not only do they ignore that my old email hacked and still being compromised.   They send send me emails saying congratulations on moving up for the amount of post.  Get your act together virgin. Media. I am so stressed on security issues due to your incompetence and no response from yourselves.   Sort this out 

Thanks for your answer.  The only response from. Virgin media was to congratulate me on my post and that I was moving up the ranks.  I do t want this I want my account deleted. As I am still being compromised ☹️

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Joey2425  The VM Forum Team staff replies are not instant as they work on a queuing basis. I can appreciate that the automated forum posts re badges etc can be infuriating.

I will escalate this thread to the VM priority queue so they should respond here tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Joey2425,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to take a few details via private message to be able to do this. Please look out for my message and we can get started. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details Joey2425, I have now raised this with our support team and I will get back in touch as soon as they have confirmed that the ticket has been resolved.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven_L - any chance my own ntlworld.com account can be deleted?  I've posted on the forum but no reply so far.  Many thanks if you can help!

Hey ChrisS7,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account, I will be happy to help to get this looked into further but I will some more details, I'll send over a private message now so that we can get started.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L