cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Blueyonder email account has been hacked - can I get the password reset please

mroskilly1
Joining in

Myself and my son have both received an email from a scammer trying to blackmail us into making a payment to a bitcoin account. Some how they have been able to get our passwords and we are now locked out of the accounts.

How do we get the accounts passwords reset to we can check the emails and stop the scammer from contacting us using our own email address!

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More likely that the passwords were use on another account that had a data leak.

If these are old accounts that are no longer linked to a current VM broadband account then the VM Forum Team should be able to make sure that they fully deleted.  They are unlikely to be able to recover the addresses for you.  The VM Forum Team will respond here tomorrow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

The scam emails that you have received are just scaremongering by miscreants.  Follow the steps set out above to change your password for peace of mind.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the very quick reply. These are old Blueyonder accounts, not actively used but we still both get emails sent to this account.

I have tried the forgotten details approach and it says there is a problem with the account and I can get no further.

I really need someone from VM to reset the password or if the account has become locked unlock it so I can reset the password myself.

Have tried everything I can think of and have ended up hear as even trying to phone VM support was no help as they just didnt understand what I was trying todo and they said they would reset the account but I have not had an email from them with a reset link or any communication to advise what to do.

So now I'm here hoping to see if some one can help.

The interesting thing is that the scammer actually told me what my password was and also my sons. Not sure how they did it - brute force attack I guess.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Mark

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

More likely that the passwords were use on another account that had a data leak.

If these are old accounts that are no longer linked to a current VM broadband account then the VM Forum Team should be able to make sure that they fully deleted.  They are unlikely to be able to recover the addresses for you.  The VM Forum Team will respond here tomorrow.

Hi there @mroskilly1 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you've been having issues with the emails being hacked, just to confirm, are these emails currently linked to an active account or are they linked to an old account you've had previously?

Do you also have business or residential services.

Let us know, we're always happy to help 😊

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules