Menu
Highlighted
hackneydave
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Old Blueyonder Primary Account Email

I'm having difficulty logging in to my virginmedia account using Apple Mail and other third-party apps. I can manage my account on Virginmedia.com using a secondary account. My primary account is an old Blueyonder email address which I can no longer access.

How can I get a working primary account email?

Thanks,

David Smith, Blueyonder pioneer (2001), OS X Mojave, WIndows 10, Linux Lite 3.8 and iOS. Home network distribution via 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old Blueyonder Primary Account Email

If you can manage your account with an email address then that is your primary My Virgin Media account.

It sounds like your blueyonder mailbox is not properly connected to your billing account so may be subject to orphan account suspension and disconnection.

You should contact Technical support to have them resolve that.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
hackneydave
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Urgent: Loss of Virginmedia email access (third party email applications)

My primary email account is a legacy blueyonder address. I can log into myvirginmedia.com and use the legacy details to access all billing and account functions on that web site. However, I am unable to access the legacy blueyonder email and I am told that I cannot change the primary account details. Until several weeks ago, I was able to access a secondary email account with a virginmedia domain. However, there have been some recent changes on the server side (i think) related to controlling unwanted traffic from the legacy domains which has caused my third party email apps to stop working. I can no longer access any virginmedia email accounts other than by logging in with the secondary account details on the myvirginmedia.com website. I need restored access to third party email apps such as Apple OS-X Mail, Airmail and Outlook. Interestingly, I can get access to the virginmedia email account through Thunderbird, but that is not my primary email software.

Surely I'm not the only person who has this challenge. Is there some attention at virginmedia to repairing access for third party email applications.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David Smith, Blueyonder pioneer (2001), OS X Mojave, WIndows 10, Linux Lite 3.8 and iOS. Home network distribution via 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Urgent: Loss of Virginmedia email access (third party email applications)

This does rather look like an issue specific to your account.

My primary username is a blueyonder account and I have no difficulty in accessing email via third party email apps or through VM webmail.

What are the exact error messages you get when trying to access your blueyonder email via email clients?  The error messages may look obscure but if they contain a VMxxx code this can be very helpful in diagnostics.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to pick up on this statement:

Interestingly, I can get access to the virginmedia email account through Thunderbird, but that is not my primary email software.

One of the things people fail to realise is that ALL Email programs use the same set of standards.  There are occasional problems caused by programming differences (The way iOS manages SMTP accounts, or emClient trying to APPEND mail to the spam folder when moving it from the Inbox), but the core functionality is always the same.

Therefore we can safely say the following:

If one third party app (i.e. Thunderbird) can read mail from the affected accounts, then provided the settings match ALL third party apps should be able to access the same accounts.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

hackneydave
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thx but that’s not helping me with the other apps. Do I need to update settings?

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Up to speed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I phoned tech support and they told me they were unable to help. 

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Up to speed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’m frustrated and don’t need arrogant responses. Something happened on the server side in March that disrupted access. Let’s keep it simple. I need a complete description of settings for OS X mail - I’m in Mojave. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is one of these the help file you are looking for?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-settings

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The only changes server side have been to SMTP traffic and where people are using legacy Virgin Media domains these typically wouldn't affect accounts in most circumstances.

Indeed although Virgin Media have changed the preferred settings the legacy servers and settings are still working, I've just checked imap.blueyonder.co.uk and pop3.blueyonder.co.uk on the old non SSL ports with Telnet.  I should stress that VM may turn these off at some point in the future as the non SSL settings are insecure to say the least.

I do agree with Graham in that in order to give full help, we need to know what error messages you are seeing.  Note: In Apple Mail you should be able to use the connection doctor to get more information.

Likewise MissPasko beat me to it and provided the current information with regards to the correct server settings.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.