cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd error message

Enduser
Fibre optic

A while ago I marked messages from a well known High Street retailer as spam. For a while now I have tried to undo this action. I have checked all my email filters and it has no rules attached to it. I have also added the email address to my address book. When I log into VM's webmail and select the 'not spam' option from the drop down menue I get the following error message, i have left it 24hrs and tried it again only to receive the same error message again

Anyone any ideas as to how I can receive messages from this retailer into my Inbox instead of my spam folder.

VM Error message 04.10.21.png

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Enduser wrote:

Anyone any ideas as to how I can receive messages from this retailer into my Inbox instead of my spam folder

I am not sure how to resolve the "temporary failure" error. I have just tested this in my  Ntlworld email account and the "Not spam" function  appears to be working fine.

My first thought would be to try another browser or to try again using a "private window" in Firefox, "Incognito mode" in Chrome or "Inprivate window" in Edge if you currently use of those browsers.  If those work it means you have a corrupt cookie in your browser so clearing the VM cookies from your browser may well be the solution.

One of the Forum Team will pick this thread up in the next day or so and they may be able to get your account checked out to see if there is an underlying issue with it.

To move on to your question, it sounds as if you have already seen and followed the advice from Virgin Media here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings 

However,  a couple of points to note about VM email:

1) That help sheet does say "Marking an email as SPAM or NOT SPAM in Virgin Media Mail will move that email to the relevant folder, but doesn't maintain that choice for future messages for that sender." ( I presume it actually means "from that sender"  🙄).

Therefore even if you could flag their emails as "not spam" you cannot rely on future emails from that company appearing in your inbox.

2) You have followed VM's advice to save the sender as a contact in order to effectively "whitelist" them, as set out here:

"If emails from a particular sender are being identified incorrectly as SPAM, save the sender as a contact. This will ensure you receive all messages from that sender and their messages won’t be identified as SPAM."

The sad news is that it does not always work. 😮

My explanation for that is that VM flag incoming emails as spam not just because they have spam content or are from known spammers.  They also have checks in place to identify emails where the sender's address has been "spoofed" (falsified). In some cases that catches out genuine senders, often those using third parties to manage their email newsletters or email marketing.

Your well known retailer may fall into that category in which case there is not a lot you can do. Setting up a filter rule in VM webmail to move all emails from them to your inbox won't work because the Webmail filter rules only work on emails that arrive in the inbox. That means that these emails will be left untouched by the filter rules.

If you do not get much spam, you could change your spam settings to "Flag a message as spam but deliver to inbox". As it says, that means spam messages will go to you inbox but will be flagged as spam at the start of the subject line. Not very good I know but it's an option.

The longer term solution is to open an email account with another email provider. I use Gmail and am happy to say that their spam filters are much better than VM's appear to be.  Microsoft Outlook.com is another email service that is very good. Both are free and because they are not linked to any internet service provider you can carry on using them even if you move from VM.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but VM email is what it is I'm afraid.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Enduser thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry, there's not really anything we can add to the advice coenoby has given. I appreciate this is not ideal, but you may wish to set up a 3rd party email address and re-direct all your important senders etc to that email address.  It would also serve protect you in the future if for whatever reason you no longer shop with ourselves, you don't lose your contacts etc.

Regards

Lee_R

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coenoby wrote:

If you do not get much spam, you could change your spam settings to "Flag a message as spam but deliver to inbox". As it says, that means spam messages will go to you inbox but will be flagged as spam at the start of the subject line. Not very good I know but it's an option.

Create a filter rule to move any message flagged as spam but not from an allowed sender to the Spam folder to tidy up the Inbox folder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks