cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld email will not send

andrewyoung
Tuning in

Good morning, my ntlworld emails are refusing to send from my webmail or mailboxes on my Mac and iPhone. I am however receiving emails on all three. I spoke to the help desk who changed my account password. I updated the new password on all three places but the problem remains. I am getting a message on webmail saying the account is blocked when I try and send an email, and my iPhone simply says that the user name or password is incorrect which is all bizarre as I am receiving emails so I must be logged in correctly. Meanwhile the Virgin help desk has said they have logged my issue with the technical team and they will hopefully come back within 48 hours. Help, I am a journalist working abroad and I need full access to my ntlworld email. I have complained on Twitter and the bizarre response I  got from your Twitter team is to post a question on this web forum. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anankha
Problem sorter

Have you also changed the password under the outgoing server settings?
Are you using the ntlworld server settings or the ntlworld?

imap.virginmedia.com
SSL yes
Port 993
smtp.virginmedia.com
SSL yes
Port 465

Are you a current virginmedia subscriber?
As webmail also has this problem then I doubt the problem is the email client/s you’re using.
Have you tried different browsers?

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Anankha
Problem sorter

Have you also changed the password under the outgoing server settings?
Are you using the ntlworld server settings or the ntlworld?

imap.virginmedia.com
SSL yes
Port 993
smtp.virginmedia.com
SSL yes
Port 465

Are you a current virginmedia subscriber?
As webmail also has this problem then I doubt the problem is the email client/s you’re using.
Have you tried different browsers?

Thanks Anankha, I am having the same problem on my Mac mail app, my iPhone and webmail. I have not changed any of my settings and I only have to put the password in the one place in each case. I have changed passwords on previous occasions without this problem. The problem is definitely at the Virgin end. If I try to send an email from my webmail it does not send and I get a notification saying the account is locked

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post a redacted screenshot of the webmail error message seen?

It would be helpful to see what error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. On your Mac open the Terminal application and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

There is also a possibility that you have exceeded the send limits Virgin Media place on email accounts; this is further reduced when operating the account from abroad by varying degree.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

On your iPhone- under Settings>Mail>Accounts click on the ntlworld account>click on the account again>then click on smtp>click on primary server which should be virginmedia & double check that there’s a password entered.

Have you checked this: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...

Thanks, done that, put new password in and it’s no different. I am sure they have locked it from the Virgin end

I expected that but worth a try.

Have you received a letter or email stating that the email address has been used to send spam or that a device on your router has malware? If not then that can’t be the reason why the account has been locked.

No, I have received nothing like that

Thanks. Hopefully a VM rep will be able to sort this out for you.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @andreyoung,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your NTL email.

Can you please tell me if have an active broadband account with us?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide