cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld email has been hacked

Neilbolton
Tuning in

Can someone please help - I need to either reset my password or delete my old NTLWorld email account.  I have not been a Virgin/NTLWorld customer for many years now. However, the account is still active and is receiving junk email.  Now I find that it has been hacked and I’m getting demands for ransom. I am not able to access the account anymore, can someone HELP PLEASE!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Neilbolton wrote:

can someone HELP PLEASE!

Indeed they can.

The Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange for that Ntlworld email address to be deleted for you. One of the team will contact you via this forum in the next day or so.

However, just to try to clarify things, when you say:

"Now I find that it has been hacked and I’m getting demands for ransom." 

does that mean:

1. You are getting emails sent to your new email account that appear to have been sent from your old Ntlworld email account?   Or......
  2. You have an autoforward set up in your Ntlworld account and these scam emails are arriving in your old Ntlworld account and simply being forwarded on to your new email account?

When it comes to scam emails demanding bitcoin In many cases the scammers spoof (fake) the sending address to make it appear they have access to your email account. Sadly, that is fairly easy to do and the scammer does not need access to your account to achieve that. So your account may not have been hacked at all.

The reason I am saying all this is that if the situation you are seeing is option 1) above, then the scammer's emails may well continue even after VM delete your Ntlworld account. There is nothing VM can do to stop that because the emails are not actually coming from your Ntlworld email account at all.

If the situation is as set out in option 2) then deleting the Ntlworld account will solve the problem.

Either way, you can rest assured that the threats from those scammers are all complete lies just to scare you into paying up.  You can simply delete those emails and move on with no worries.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Neilbolton wrote:

can someone HELP PLEASE!

Indeed they can.

The Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can arrange for that Ntlworld email address to be deleted for you. One of the team will contact you via this forum in the next day or so.

However, just to try to clarify things, when you say:

"Now I find that it has been hacked and I’m getting demands for ransom." 

does that mean:

1. You are getting emails sent to your new email account that appear to have been sent from your old Ntlworld email account?   Or......
  2. You have an autoforward set up in your Ntlworld account and these scam emails are arriving in your old Ntlworld account and simply being forwarded on to your new email account?

When it comes to scam emails demanding bitcoin In many cases the scammers spoof (fake) the sending address to make it appear they have access to your email account. Sadly, that is fairly easy to do and the scammer does not need access to your account to achieve that. So your account may not have been hacked at all.

The reason I am saying all this is that if the situation you are seeing is option 1) above, then the scammer's emails may well continue even after VM delete your Ntlworld account. There is nothing VM can do to stop that because the emails are not actually coming from your Ntlworld email account at all.

If the situation is as set out in option 2) then deleting the Ntlworld account will solve the problem.

Either way, you can rest assured that the threats from those scammers are all complete lies just to scare you into paying up.  You can simply delete those emails and move on with no worries.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks for the reply. 
just for clarity, I still have access to my ntlworld account, but so do they. The email demanding bitcoin (which I know is spoof) came FROM the ntlworld account and was sent TO the same ntlworld account (if that makes sense). 
If it was just the spoof emails I would just ignore it but they are now logging into some of my accounts that still use that email, resetting the password and gaining access to them as well, for example LinkedIn, William Hill and tried to on Facebook but fortunately I had 2 stage authentication on there. Also they are trying places I don’t have account and then making accounts there too. 

Neil

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Neilbolton wrote:

I still have access to my ntlworld account, but so do they.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that although it's a bit at odds with your first post "I am not able to access the account anymore," 😉

However, in view of your comment that "they are now logging into some of my accounts that still use that email, resetting the password and gaining access to them as well"  I have escalated this post to the Forum Team who should be able to delete the Ntlworld account for you.

Coenoby

Thank you again for your reply.
Sorry, what I meant when I said I don’t have access to the account, was I cant access the security settings to change passwords etc

Hi @Neilbolton 👋,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that your mailbox has been hacked. 

I would like to help you further so will pop you a PM now to confirm some details and we can take it from there 😃

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your time via PM @Neilbolton 

As discussed a ticket has been raised with IT to get the mailbox removed. 

I will follow up with you as soon as I have confirmation it has been deleted. 

Thank you 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Neilbolton,

Thanks for your time via PM 😊

I have now had an updated from our IT team. The mailboxes have been deleted.

If I can help with anything else, please let me know. 

All the best! 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Many thanks in your quick responses and actions, it is much appreciated 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem at all Neilbolton,

I'm glad we were able to resolve the matter.

All the best,

Kain