Menu
Maza20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email hacked

Hi

my email has been hacked, I'm unable to view any mails I've tried to reset password but my memorable information and Dob has also been changed. I'm unable to contact anybody at virgin to get this resolved. This has also led to my Facebook, Instagram and Amazon accounts all being accessed also. I desperately need to gain access back to my email account. Please help

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email hacked

Here is Virgin Media's advice for self-help actions in your situation https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

But if you have tried and failed, wait here and the Forum Team may be able to assist.  If you are in a hurry, you might need to ring in 150 and get them to help reset your password.  Either way you'll need to prove you are the account holder.  Good luck.

EDIT:  Are you a current VM broadband customer?  Is that why you are "unable to contact anybody at virgin to get this resolved" ?  If you are a customer, they will help you get access.  If not - they can only delete the email address completely.  Let us know your status.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Maza20
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

i am VM customer currently. I am unable to call via 150 as I'm presently abroad on holiday. I have no way of contacting the help desk to get assistance other than via this route 

Highlighted
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Maza20 wrote:

I've tried to reset password but my memorable information and Dob has also been changed.

Did you try entering those answers in UPPER CASE?

For some reason that sometimes works even if the same answers are rejected when typed in lower case. Smiley Frustrated

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Maza20
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"Sorry!

Your mailbox is not available at the moment"

My husband was able to change my password, as he is the account holder.

My email address is additional to his email address.

Logically, he should be able to see all emails from both our addresses but he gets the same error message.

My other social media has been hacked at this time too. I've had my email for 20 years and now cannot access my inbox, therefore, it seems they have hacked my emails too.

Virgin: we've gone through all the necessary steps to prevent further hacking, what's next steps do you recommend ?

Regards

coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Maza20 wrote:

"Sorry!

No problem. However the extra information that you have provided suggests that you may (and I stress "may") have 2 separate issues here.

There is a long standing issue at the moment which is causing some Virgin Media email account holders to see exactly the error message that you are seeing when they try to log in to their webmail accounts.  Here is one of the threads on the subject. it's a long one but you'll get the idea if you skim through a few posts.

https://community.virginmednia.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-log-into-webmail/td-p/4009266

This seems to be an issue that VMhave to resolve on a case by case basis.

The only answer is to wait for one of the Forum Team (VM employees who monitor this forum) to pick this up and contact you for more information. They will ask for it by a private message, please do not post the email addresses or other personal information here.

The fact that you have had other online accounts hacked may be an unfortunate coincidence. Hopefully you have addressed each of those hacks separately with the relevant organisations.

My personal advice (but  many other regular posters here would say the same) is not to use VM email addresses as the contact or user name for online accounts with Amazon and other similar organisations.

Just as an example, Gmail offers much greater security such as2 factor authentication and warnings when there are suspicious attempts to log into your Gmail account. Once you have got the present issues resolved you would be much safer moving to Gmail or one of the many other free email services that offer similar protection.

One of the Forum Team should be here in a while and they will take this up with the email support team directly.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Maza20 wrote:

"Sorry!

My husband was able to change my password, as he is the account holder.

My email address is additional to his email address.

Logically, he should be able to see all emails from both our addresses but he gets the same error message.

My other social media has been hacked at this time too. I've had my email for 20 years and now cannot access my inbox, therefore, it seems they have hacked my emails too.

Virgin: we've gone through all the necessary steps to prevent further hacking, what's next steps do you recommend ?

Regards

Many thanks for giving me kudos and marking my post as a helpful answer.

Unfortunately on this forum that is taken to mean that the issue has been resolved - which of course it hasn't. Smiley Frustrated

I would suggest that you remove the Helpful Answer flag on my post so that his thread does get reviewed by the team.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Maza20
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know that.

Appreciate.

Yes, we still have the issue !

Regards

Maria

0 Kudos
jason901
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same happen to me on several occasions, which also led to my instagram account being stolen and being locked out of my Amazon account.  My advice to you is, if you get it back, .......(and here is the part where i get told off by Virginmedia) ....... ditch the ntlworld email.  All online hacks I have had come through that account.  Get a GMail account and turn on the 2 factor authentication option so with each log in to the account you have to personally accept through your smartphone.

I wish you all the luck in the world getting everything sorted.  I spent days getting my accounts back under my control and changing so many usernames and passwords.

coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jason901 wrote:

My advice to you is, if you get it back, .......(and here is the part where i get told off by Virginmedia) ....... ditch the ntlworld email.  All online hacks I have had come through that account.  Get a GMail account and turn on the 2 factor authentication option so with each log in to the account you have to personally accept through your smartphone.

I agree completely. In fact most of the regular posters and the superusers on this Forum regularly give exactly that advice. (And I have never been told off by VM - yet Smiley Happy)

That advice goes for all ISP email services not just VM by the way.

Improved security is not the only reason to switch to Gmail or any of the other services available. The non ISP email services such as Gmail offer improved reliability and more investment in improvements than the basic ISP services provide.

The reason I had not mentioned that on this thread (yet Smiley Wink) was because the first priority is for the OP to regain control of their VM email account.

Coenoby