cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld.com email - I need to locate my password

philhobbs
Tuning in

My outgoing emails go by Outlook via server smtp.ntlworld.com. The password is there but I can't see it as it appears as ******** . I may need to change the settings in my Outlook but I daren't as I can never get back to the current settings if I don't have the password which makes it all work now. I have been with NTL, then Virgin for as long as I can remember and never needed to change anything before. This password has just been misplaced along the way. Can anyone please help? 

17 REPLIES 17

Hi @philhobbs,

To clarify, are you saying that the ntlworld email address in question is not linked to the My Virgin Media online account that you have access to?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A lot of the instructions appear to be for PST passwords rather than account passwords..  I do know how to find the password in the registry BUT the password is encrypted.  It should be possible to decrypt it with Powershell, however I need to do some reading first.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Zac, I'm not totally sure but I guess it must be in some way. The only way I have sent emails from my (non Virgin) email account for the last 15 years or more is via outgoing server smtp.ntlworld.com using Outlook. During that time, NTL became Virgin and, to my knowledge, I've changed nothing in respect of outgoing emails. Phil

Hi @philhobbs,

Have you signed up with us more than once in the past or perhaps moved home during a period of service with us? If so, you'd be granted a new account which would help narrow down what's going on here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@philhobbs 

You might want to take a look at this.

Warning

While AV does appear to give a warning about this software - it's possible that this is a false positive.  I have submitted the file to Norton for review, but if you do use this you do so at your own risk.

It does however reveal the passwords of my Outlook 2016 account and when I separated the SMTP username and passwords it shows both IMAP and SMTP details.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Zach, one home move about 10 and a half years ago. Otherwise. no change. Thinking back, I used that server as initially there was no wifi so it used the cable system. I can't see how moving would have changed the password as it was Virgin at the time. Phil

Hi @philhobbs,

I appreciate that. It's more to work out where it's located to understand why you can't access it via your My Virgin Media online account, which is what dictates what the password is.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can get a bit more info to take a closer look. Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this but I've given up as there appears to be no obvious answer. No further responses necessary thanks.