cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld.com email - I need to locate my password

philhobbs
Tuning in

My outgoing emails go by Outlook via server smtp.ntlworld.com. The password is there but I can't see it as it appears as ******** . I may need to change the settings in my Outlook but I daren't as I can never get back to the current settings if I don't have the password which makes it all work now. I have been with NTL, then Virgin for as long as I can remember and never needed to change anything before. This password has just been misplaced along the way. Can anyone please help? 

17 REPLIES 17

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you cannot recall the password you will need to change it to a new one. 

The easiest way is via the forgotten password route.

virgin-media-reset-username-and-password 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham. Appreciate your comments. However, I have tried a new Outlook setting using my current Virgin password and it doesn't work so I don't think it's as simple as that. As I can't see what is there (just ******), I daren't make any change. Do you know if any old NTL password would have just been updated with the new Virgin one? By the way, my incoming emails are via a TalkTalk POP3 account (who bought out my previous small provider Nildram) and it's possoble that's part of my problem but I can't see how. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That all sounds like a very confusing set up so I think that we need to do some unpacking/fact finding.

Is the Ntlworld email address concerned your Primary username for your VM broadband account or a secondary account?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi Graham, my only link to the old NTL account is via this server (smtp.ntlworld) which I use for outgoing Outlook emails, to my knowledge. I access my main Virgin account (for TV, broadband and land line) using current details and a password which was established quite recently. I think my simple question may be - will the password I originally used many years ago for NTL now have automatically been updated when I updated my Virgin password (which I have done quite a few times)? Thanks for your help!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No, changing the Virgin Media password would not change the ntlworld password, unless you have somehow managed to change the username for the ntlworld account to the same as the virgin media account.

Hi philhobbs,

thanks for posting on the Community Forums.

Have you been able to reset your My Virgin Media account password? If not, just give me a shout and I can get that reset for you, providing we're able to clear through security via PM :).

Changing your My Virgin Media account password would indeed also change your Virgin Media (primary) email account password that's linked to that My Virgin Media profile.

Hope that helps.

Beth

Beth

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which version of Outlook are you using?

It might be easier than you think to find your password.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Beth, I have been able to change my Virgin Media account password. That's not the problem. What I need to know is whether that can be used for my old ntlworld.com account. I have been told that it won't? Phil

Hi Tim, I am using Outlook 2010 but not by choice. I could not set up a new Outlook version with Microsoft 365, I think because the ntlworld.com server would not work. Therefore I reinstalled some old software and this is the problem I'm trying to overcome. If you can tell me how to see what password I am using that would be good. I've tried using instructions found on internet but they don't seem to work for me. Phil