cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld account works on Win10 PC but not Win 11, noticed defaults pop not IMAP

JobeyJones
Tuning in

Two laptops connecting to same A/C

10 REPLIES 10

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which email client are you using in Windows 11 and what error are you seeing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Microsoft Outlook
The server cannot be found
Cannot verify or add the calendar to Outlook
Cannot find the mail server
Win10 PC imap.virginmedia.com 993
Win11 PC pop.virginmedia.com 993 Temp changed to pop3 but cannot change back to pop or imap

@JobeyJones wrote:
Microsoft Outlook
The server cannot be found
Cannot verify or add the calendar to Outlook
Cannot find the mail server
Win10 PC imap.virginmedia.com 993 Looks to be correct

IMAP Access (Incoming)

• Server Name: imap.virginmedia.com
  • User Name: Your full email address
  • Connection Security: SSL/TLS
  • Authentication method: Normal password
  • Port: 993

Win11 PC pop.virginmedia.com 993 Looks to be incorrect  Temp changed to pop3 but cannot change back to pop or imap

POP Access (Incoming)

• Server Name: pop3.virginmedia.com
  • User Name: Your full email address
  • Connection Security: SSL/TLS
  • Authentication: Normal password
  • Port: 995

Additionally in MS Outlook it's not possible to change existing entered accounts from IMAP to POP or vice-versa, you have to add the account again with the correct settings for the chosen connection type (as far as I know).

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi JobeyJones,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with your email address.

I can see our VIP's have provided support on this. Has this been able to assist with resolving the issue?

^Martin

Changed this but would not save changes to settings. Need to be online to, but cannot get online.

File>Account settings>Server Settings <<< Changed there but would NOT save "Something went wrong     Something went wrong and outlook could not save the account settings. Please try again."

Will turn off the email from this second PC (Close Outlook in Win10, then try again).

Jobey

According to your earlier post your Windows 11 system appears to be configured for POP3 access with Outlook, is this correct?

You can't convert an existing POP3 account to an IMAP one in Outlook, you'll have to follow the steps outlined here if you wish to do that:
https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

You should be able to change the server settings for existing POP or IMAP accounts though:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-or-update-email-account-settings-in-outlook-for-wi...

And as an aside, you really shouldn't use POP3 access on one system and IMAP on another. Using POP3 on even one device may result in messages being removed from the server message store, making them invisible to clients using IMAP. It also does not allow the POP3 client to access sent messages.

(I know VM handles the POP3 protocol in a non-standard way by not deleting downloaded messages: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032 but may still hide downloaded messages from other devices.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

This is the old PC Win10 (Cannot convert to Win11) has the settings (imap 993 etc) you say are correct.

The new PC was Win10, then converted to Win11, email worked perfectly and then stopped, was this because of a windows update with a bug in it????

The new PC should have had the same settings, cannot remember how setup, but was able to change settings to pop and then pop3.and now to imap, each time it does not work. Notes SSL/TLS and password has not changed.

Old PC has a broadband connection, new PC has to be wifi (HDMI, no broadband connector).

Connection checker says "security or firewall might be blocking the connection.(McAfee)

[REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

@JobeyJones wrote:

This is the old PC Win10 (Cannot convert to Win11) has the settings (imap 993 etc) you say are correct.

If your email on Outlook works on this PC then just ignore it, it's not relevant to the issue on your other computer. Does email work correctly on this system?

The new PC was Win10, then converted to Win11, email worked perfectly and then stopped, was this because of a windows update with a bug in it????

Only Microsoft can answer that question.

The new PC should have had the same settings, cannot remember how setup, but was able to change settings to pop and then pop3.and now to imap, each time it does not work. Notes SSL/TLS and password has not changed.

Your Outlook settings should not have been changed when updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but it's Microsoft after all so who knows?

As already noted you can't change account settings from POP3 to IMAP or IMAP to POP3. You have to set up a new account with the appropriate settings for the connection type.

Email accounts can be configured either through Outlook itself or via Control Panel > Mail. The correct server settings for Outlook can be found here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-microsoft-outlook If you're not changing the connection type just confirm your settings are correct. If you're changing from POP3 to IMAP or vice-versa then set it up as a new account.

Old PC has a broadband connection, new PC has to be wifi (HDMI, no broadband connector).

As long as you have an active internet connection, neither Windows or Outlook care if it's wired or wireless. (HDMI is a digital, audio and data interface for displays and is not relevant.)

Connection checker says "security or firewall might be blocking the connection.(McAfee)

Have you tried temporarily turning off email scanning in McAfee?

Are there any other error messages being displayed when you try to use Outlook?

xxxxxx@ntlworld.com

(I've hidden your full email address, you shouldn't post such information on an open forum.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Turned scanning and firewall off for 30 minutes, now only says cannot find server and when I tried to repair says "We couldn't find the incoming (POP) server. Please check the incoming (POP) server name in account settings and try again. Account settings says imap (993 SSL/TLS) now.