Menu
Highlighted
Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld account not sending Emails in Apple mail App

Good evening 

It seems that I am now experiencing issues that others have experienced in the past as regards emails being received but not being sent while utilising my Ntlworld account in Apple mail on iPad pro.

My  Ntlworld account seems to be functioning normally while using webmail in Safari however in the last 72 hours I have been unable to send emails but still receive them while using Ntlworld account in Apple mail. I have searched the forums high and low and followed various threads of advice but still experiencing the same issue no matter what advice I follow. I have followed this particular thread to the letter https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D..., but I still receive the same message after deleting and reinstating the account...unable to connect via SSL.... I have changed passwords and went through the whole rigmarole again but without success.Ive rebooted hub rebooted ipad and still no joy and tonight. i checked my wife’s ipad and it is experiencing the same issue. I recently updated my ipad software to ipadOS 13.1.2.

I do not have access to a lap top or desktop so any solutions involving itunes are out

Appreciate it if anyone could

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ntlworld account not sending Emails in Apple mail App

I have a suspicion of what this very well could be, ordinarily we'd be asking the user to get some diagnostic logging information from the PC but that's not going to be easy in your case with just the native mail app on iOS - I don't think it exposes any logging information at all - at least not easily.

In the meantime, just as an experiment, is there a neighbour you can pop into who has wifi (doesn't have to be VM) or some other place with accessible wifi and see if the mail app connects when it's not on your home wifi? 

John

Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It’s possible that I could do the logging in from elsewhere however yesterday I switched off the connection between my ipad and my wi-fi and tried to use my O2 mobile data with the same result.  My mate who lives locally and has the same set up is not experiencing any issues

thanks for your reply 

0 Kudos
Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Jem 101 you gave me an idea which I have tried, I deleted Ntlworld account from Apple mail while my wifi was switched off and rebooted ipad . I then re-added my Ntlworld account using mobile data while wi-fi was still switched off and hey presto Ntlworld was sending e-mails, I’ve yet to switch my wifi back on to see what happens

0 Kudos
Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I’ve now switched the wi-fi  back on and Ntlworld has reverted to not sending emails. Can anyone explain if this an Apple issue or will I need to contact Virgin Media direct

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Look up your public IP address and then see if it is blacklisted on spamhaus (CSS list IIRC).  That is the most likely problem and is up to you to find what devices are harbouring malware.

Check here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

MissPasko thanks, followed your link to Spamhaus but my IP address is not showing up in any of their block lists 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mickbhoy

Did you run a full virus scan on every device in the property

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Mickbhoy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As I don’t have a laptop or a desktop  and it is iPads iPhones Aria scales Firestick and PlayStation that connect to my hub 3 could you give some advice on how to do that please

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mickbhoy

A firestick runs on android which can carry a virus, especially if a 3rd party program has been added to it. You would need to set this back to factory settings 

iPads and iPhones  are not susceptible to malware or viruses providing you haven't jail broken them or modified them in any way 

Aria scales, you would need to make sure that these are set to factory settings then updated to the latest firmware

Playstations are practically bullet proof and most hackers would steer clear as,ost are used for gaming 

Gareth_L