cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving emails

jontwist
Tuning in

Hi,

I have one of my alias @ntlworld.com accounts that can't get emails. It has been like that for 5 days now and I keep typing in the password and the main software (Thunderbird) is saying

Sending of password for user emailaddressredacted@ntlworld.com did not succeed. Mail server pop3.ntlworld.com responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed.

I have tried putting in the password but it doesn't accept it. I also try to log in to webmail and the same. I rang customer services on Monday 13th (by the way, how come there isn't an option for email issues?) and was told by the broken-English pleasant lady that there was a problem and she couldn't help but it would be solved by Tuesday 14th 2.00pm. Sadly this hasn't been the case.

Ideally I'd like confirmation that this is a known problem, and when it will be fixed by. I'd also like to reset that password but currently I can't do that.

I'm mindful that this could be an issue local to my PC (not that anything has changed) so I don't want to be waiting for a Virgin problem to be resolved if that isn't the issue.

Thanks

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suggest changing the password for the secondary email address, wait an hour then use the new password in Thunderbird.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suggest changing the password for the secondary email address, wait an hour then use the new password in Thunderbird.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Awesome thanks Graham, didn’t see it had been moved.

What number do I call for technical issues>email please as I don’t have security answers set up.

Thanks

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The numbers to ring are 150 free from a VM mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone (chargeable as standard UK landline phone no.).

When you work your way through the options select the one for faults and technical issues then use option five which includes email issues.

Not getting anywhere. Frustrated now.

Rang up three times just to get my password on a secondary/alias ntlworld email or to reset it.

First time, Monday 13th - there is a problem that will be resolved in 24 hours.

Second call, Thursday 16th - I will reset your password, what do you want it to be, it will work in 48 hours.

Third call, today Monday 20th - I will escalate it to technical department who will contact you within 5 working days.

No expectation of a call from them, can someone from VM help please?

All I want to do it to get a password reset on the secondary/alias email address because emails on Thunderbird just stopped working - I haven't changed anything. Tried logging in to VM using that email and the password but saying that password isn't correct. Can't reset it because the security answers aren't being accepted (mustn't be set up on that email address) so needed to call. What should be simple is being blown into the biggest job ever.

And all this time there are emails that I'm not receiving (since 08/03)

Can someone from VM please PM me please?

Thanks for coming back to us jontwist and sorry for the issues that you're having with your email account. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Ready when you are Steven! Thanks in advance for your help :0)

Thank you Steven, I'm thrilled to be able to get back into the emails thanks to you help.

Best wishes

Jon

You're very welcome jontwist, I'm just glad that we have been able to get this resolved for you this evening 😀

Have a good evening!!

Thanks

Steven_L