cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not accepting any password for virgin mail

Serenoo
Tuning in

Like many others on this forum I cannot log into virgin mail due to non acceptance of ANY password. Have cleared cache, tried various search engines too.

11 REPLIES 11

fissionchi
Joining in

Same issue here

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is the email account linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account or has it been less than 90 days since it was terminated?

FYI use of Virgin Media email account requires it be linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account. Email accounts are permanently deleted 90 days after broadband service is terminated or whenever Virgin Media get to it; do note that the latter can occur at anytime and without further notice.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I have had virgin email address for many years without virgin broadband, husband still has his working ok, it doesn’t make any sense and moderators are not answering my question.

@Serenoo wrote:

I have had virgin email address for many years without virgin broadband, husband still has his working ok, it doesn’t make any sense and moderators are not answering my question.

Ah well, use of any VM branded email addresses are conditional (and always have been) on you being a current VM broadband customer. I fully expect that your husband’s email will also vaporise in the very near future so I would strongly advise him to make steps to backup any messages he wants to keep and make make arrangements to sign up with another email provider and notify his contacts as to the change.

Officially the setup is this, some 90 days after you cease being a VM broadband customer, the email addresses associated with that account should be deleted. However, this doesn’t always happen on this timescale (for whatever reason), leaving the email address working for months of not years. Eventually, however, these ‘orphaned’ or as I like to refer to them as ‘zombie’ accounts, get caught up in a periodic sweep and are unceremoniously deleted!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Serenoo,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with your email, as there isn't an active account with us our team would be unable to retrieve it, we advise it can usually happen around 90 days however some have passed the test of time.

Many apologies,

Kain

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi fissionchi,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, just from checking our forum I can see that you have another thread open for this matter that has been responded to.

To avoid confusion I'll allow responses to occur from there.

Regards,

Kain

We have not had any other type of account with Virgin with the exception of our 2 email addresses for MANY MANY years so this appears to have happened because we were changing the password on the account.  Really do not understand why now Virgin decide to clean up accounts not linked to broadband etc. 

just to be clear.. the problem occurred trying to add our virgin email to a new mobile phone, it is strange as the same email account could still be accessed on iPad for a while through safari until logging out and then the same problem occurred on that.  So I take it that Virgin decided NOT to warn email users about this to give them the opportunity of changing email addresses linked to owned websites / bank accounts / online shopping / gateways etc etc.  I for one keep some emails going back years and years and now have lost them without warning, so I’m supposed to feel grateful our accounts have slipped through the net? being annoyed would be an understatement.  I now need to sort the other virgin email account before this happens again.  :-((     Thank goodness for Gmail that’s all I can say!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The conditions for keeping an email address were spelled out when you started using it. You can be reminded here... 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

Virgin were wrong in not keeping to their own conditions, but you can hardly blame them for your own failure to keep backups of important data.

Email is a method of exchanging information - the clue is in the name - it was never intended as a free permanent online filing cabinet, and if you use it as such you risk losing it for a variety of reasons. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The conditions as far as I have been aware are these..482458CE-E404-45A6-BC9D-FE8B5EC05573.jpeg