Menu
craibh
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nor receiving emails sent from Portugal

I am expecting emails from a number of utilities in Portugal. I know that they have sent them to the correct ntlworld.com addresses but none have arrived.I went to my Portuguese email address to day- at Sapo.pt - and sent my self an email using my ntlworld.com address and it arrived.Does any one know why these email from the utilities have not arrived.They were sent at different times over the last few days.I have checked my junk box.

Many thanks.

Craib

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nor receiving emails sent from Portugal

A little aside first so you'll grasp better what I have to say.

I gave my address in England to my friends in the USA and they promised they would write to me. They always keep their promises, but I never got any letters and the Post Office here can't tell me why. The Post Office say they deliver millions of letters a week and their deliveries to my address seem OK but for thse letters. What can I do?  

E-mail is just the same. If you are sure they were sent and you are sure that you handed over the right e-mail address then they should have arrived. They may, of course, have been treated by VM as spam so will be in your web mail spam folder provided your web mail spam settings are either set to "spam to spam folder" or "spam to inbox" . Have you checked? But apart from that there is no realistic way of tracing from this end.

However the sender has away of knowing what has happened if mail they have sent and which is showing as correctly sent on their e-mail records has been bounced back to them by Virgin Media's mail servers for some reason.  It is like return to sender as undelivered. 

So you've worked out what you have to do. You should ask for a copy of the bounce message, post it here so we can see what the VM mail servers have been up to (if they have been up to anything). You need to ensure that you redact the bounce message to remove personal identifying details - usually the name before an @ symbol in e-mail.

It is true that VM may have a record as well but that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, amongst the millions and millions of e-mail transactions that take place daily.

My betting is that the sender has wrongly transcribed your e-mail address or you have your web mail settings set to reject all spam in which case that is what your end of the e-mail system may have done. It's like ask the postman to put the rubbish leaflets in your recycling bin without showing them to you.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@craibh wrote:

Does any one know why these email from the utilities have not arrived.

Just a couple more thoughts for you.

You say that you have already checked your spam folder but you don't say whether you are managing your ntlworld email account directly from Virgin Media''s online webmail service or whether you are using an email app on your phone or pc. 

If you are using an email app of some sort you need  sign into your Virgin Media webmail account https://www.virginmedia.com/email  and check the spam folder there.

Also, while you are in VM webmail you could also check whether there are any filters set up in the account.

He is a link explaining how to do that https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-using-filters.

It is possible a filter is moving those emails to a specific folder or even redirecting them to another email account entirely.

If you find such a filter or filters and you know nothing about them, the inference is that someone else has gained access to your email account and set those filters up for their own purposes. That is unlikely........but possible  - especially where financial transactions are involved. Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@craibh wrote:

I have checked my junk box.

This suggests to me that you are using en email client are you using POP3?  If so I'd recommend logging in to webmail and checking the Spam folder in webmail to see if they are there.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

craibh
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can I thank everyone for their very swift and helpful responses.I do use POP and Outlook - tho' having used Virgin since the mid 90s I have never really forgiven VM for stopping keeping messages sent from devices using Outlook  which was very useful if one was logging in from other parts of the world.!

I had been to the VM website and checked the spam there but nothing there from Portugal.I spoke to the company and they sent another link which arrived almost immediately which allowed me to deal with the immediate issue.

I am having the same problem with a different company and I have contacted them to see if they can sort out the problem and hopefully they can.As these are very large companies I doubt if I will get a copy of a  bounce back message  from them - but I shall see.

Again my thanks.

Craib