Menu
rotman12
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No email access since 13 June

(I was encouraged to start a new thread by a response from Miss Pasko to an earlier post of mine.)

i've not been able to access incoming emails on my VM Mail account since 13 June. I keep getting a pop-up message: "Unable to get mail.  Username or password incorrect."  When I then try to access email having logged in to my VM account, I get the following message:

"Your mailbox is not available at the moment.  Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all your devices.  

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2.

For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, please visit VirginMedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary."

I rang 150 from my VM phone on 15 June and was informed that the issue should be sorted within 48 hours.  However I still cannot access incoming emails though I can successfully send emails on my VM account.

I would be grateful for any help you can give in sorting out this issue or for an indication of when it might be resolved.  In my view, VM need to be more proactive in getting out information to its customers - e.g. through messages on My Virgin Media - when service interruptions like this occur, detailing the nature of the issue and how soon a solution is likely.  It is clear from community posts that this email issue is affecting  a good number of customers and we shouldn't have to trawl through community posts and the like to find out what's going on.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: No email access since 13 June

You raise a number of well made points re how this recent outage for some customers has been handled.

Whilst there have been a number of 'mailbox unavailable' posts in the last few days it is not clear if these are directly related to the problems that VM have been having.  That said, as the number increases, then I am inclined towards believing they are linked in some way.

Edit to add:  I notice that you mention you can send emails on your VM account but not receive them.  As you say you are locked out of your webmail mailbox I assume you are sending via an email client app.  What error messages does that throw up when trying to retrieve emails?  Your described symptoms seem at odds with most of the other problems being reported currently via this community help forum.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

rotman12
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your response, Graham.  In my ignorance, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by sending via an email client app. My understanding was that to operate emails on my tablet, I simply connect with the outgoing VM server - smtp.virginmedia.com - for sending mails and with the incoming VM server - imap.virginmedia.com - for accessing incoming mails.  The error messages I'm receiving on my tablet when trying to retrieve incoming emails are those I mentioned in my original post.  All I can add is that when trying to retrieve any new incoming mail in my VM account on my desktop machine, I get the following message: "We couldn't access this account: VirginMedia.  You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device."  I have not taken any action so far in response to this message as I don't know what has caused the lack of access issue since 13 June.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whichever app your tablet uses to connect to the email servers is the email client that i referred to.  Best wait here for the Forum Team to respond so they can investigate this issue for you.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Because this started on 13th June I'm disinclined to think that it's a part of the major issue, which commenced the previous Sat or Sun.  Either way the forum team will need to escalate this for you as the mailbox unavailable message clearly indicates an account issue.

Use Kudos to say thanks

rotman12
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As it's now a week since I had a response to the issue I originally raised about lack of access to incoming emails on my VM Mail account, is there anyone from the Forum Team intending to pick up this issue for me please?  The last emails I received were on 13 June, and I have been unable to receive emails via the incoming mail server (imap.virginmedia.com) since then.  And when I have tried to use webmail via my VM account, I get an error message that the service is unavailable.  I can send emails via the outgoing mail server (smtp.virginmedia.com) and login to my VM account.  It is now nearly 2 weeks since this lack of service issue arose and I really would appreciate a response from VM.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Since you first posted it has become clear than has been more than one cause for what you are seeing. I'd hazard a guess that by now the problem you have has nothing to do with the outage that VM suffered after work on their servers in early June. Let's try another approach.

Before I launch into further advice answer this question - can you log into My Virginmedia with your existing username and password. If not explain what happens when you try (I want you to try)?

Use Kudos to say thanks

rotman12
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I can log in to My VirginMedia using my existing username and password.  In fact I am currently logged in.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This is a real puzzle. The usual cause for the symptoms you are seeing in web mail (aside from system disasters when VM upgrade their servers) is that VM Security have locked out your e-mail account because they have detected that it has been sending spam. You'd never know. The puzzle is that accounts "hijacked" in this way usually have the password changed by the spammers (you can see why I asked). The other puzzle is that you can still send using an e-mail client which connects to VM's SMTP servers. The lock-out is designed to stop the use of those servers.

I am going to hazard a big guess (based on past experience) that you will be able to restore e-mail access in full if you change your password.  But I'm not sure. 

You don't have to take my advice.  Whatever you decide please post back. If necessary I'll escalate for you.

Use Kudos to say thanks

rotman12
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  When you suggest that I should try changing my password, I assume you mean the one I use to log in to My VirginMedia account.  Is that correct?  If so, I could try that to see if I can then use my webmail.  What about the password that, according to the Settings for my email accounts, seems to be part of the ID for the incoming server along with the host name and my user name?

I haven't yet decided whether to try any changes to my passwords.  I am very grateful for the interest you have taken in my issue and for your help.  Subject to seeing whether changing my VirginMedia account password restores my access to webmail, I think I would like to take up your offer to escalate this to, I assume, a VM representative.  After all, the email facility is a fundamental part of the Broadband service that I pay VM for.  Moreover, it is clear from the posts in VM community that many of their customers have experienced or are still experiencing difficulties with using their VM email service, so I think VM should take ownership of this issue and help their customers to overcome the current difficulties.

0 Kudos