Menu
Highlighted
NikWings
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

NTLWorld email account hacked - need it shut down!

Hi,

I have just signed up here hoping someone can help me with getting an old NTLWorld email account closed down. 

It's an old account that I haven't used for about 3 years but I still receive the odd newsletters etc. About 2 months ago I started getting more malicious emails than the standard Nigerian spam type and then I got an email that showed they knew a password I use sometimes, possibly even used for this email account too, and demanded payment in bit coins. I am unable to log into this email account so I can't make any security changes. I am also no longer a Virgin Media account customer.

I spoke to Virgin Media support on receiving this malicious email and they said they would close the account down. They also said the account would close automatically after 3 months of inactivity but if someone is using it, it will never go inactive!

However, today I get an email that is an email I received from an insurance company 3 1/2 years ago which has been forwarded to me at my current email address. My girlfriend also received an email that I received from an airline 3 1/2 years ago so it looks like one or people have access to my old emails and my email contacts.

I again tried Virgin Media phone support but I got the feeling that as I am no longer a VM customer they are not too interested and I was redirected to a line where I was left hanging so long I hung up.

There seems to have been a security breach at Virgin but they're not taking it seriously.

I am hoping through this community forum I can get this account closed/blocked with immediate effect.

Nick

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTLWorld email account hacked - need it shut down!

@NikWings wrote:

I again tried Virgin Media phone support but I got the feeling that as I am no longer a VM customer they are not too interested

I am hoping through this community forum I can get this account closed/blocked with immediate effect

One of the Forum Team (Virgin Media employees) should be able to sort this out for you by arranging for your orphaned email account to be deleted.

They will post here and contact you via the Forum's Private Message facility to ask for the details of the account. 

Be aware that it may take them a day or two to pick up this post. In the meantime please don't post the email address or any details here.

BTW While you are waiting for the Forum Team to pick up on this post you could try going to the VM email sign in page here  https://mail.virginmedia.com    and try clicking on "Forgotten your password". When you are asked for your username that refers to your full VM email address. You will need to answer your security question and if that gets rejected try typing the answer in UPPER CASE.

If you are successful that will enable you to change the password on the account which will mean that if your VM email account has been hacked it will at least put the hackers off their stride for a while.Smiley Wink

However, the account does still need to be deleted and the Forum Team can arrange for that to happen.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@NikWings wrote:

It's an old account that I haven't used for about 3 years but I still receive the odd newsletters etc. About 2 months ago I started getting more malicious emails than the standard Nigerian spam type and then I got an email that showed they knew a password I use sometimes, possibly even used for this email account too, and demanded payment in bit coins. I am unable to log into this email account so I can't make any security changes. I am also no longer a Virgin Media account customer.

Stating something you know in the email, like a password, is a lure to make the threat / blackmail that follows appear real. Either ignore it or if you still have concerns contact ActionFraud here https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

There seems to have been a security breach at Virgin but they're not taking it seriously.

“… knew a password I use sometimes, …” makes it hard to determine how the miscreant came by the password than if you had not used a shared / reused password.

As to the question of seriousness, hopefully the forum team will feed that back to the appropriate department so orphaned email accounts cannot be abused like this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi NikWings, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

I am really sorry you've been having on going issues with your Email account. 

I will be more than happy to look into this for you and have sent you a PM, please reply when you can and we will be able to get this sorted for you.

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
NikWings
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hetty,

Have sent you a pm reply.

0 Kudos