cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLWorld email access

reale00
Joining in

I spent the morning trying to set up an older relative's new iPad. The salesperson in Currys had a game attempt at setting it up but unfortunately my aunt could not remember her password. Fast forward to today, we rang VM and got the password changed, can log in fine to the website and even webmail, but I'm struggling to get access to her legacy NTLmail account via imap. I've got the email address, password, and IMAP/SMTP settings but it's just not connecting. Outlook says "We couldn't access this account, check password, and device permission etc"#

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can try next? Does it just take some time for the password to update?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@reale00 wrote:

but I'm struggling to get access to her legacy NTLmail account via imap. I've got the email address, password, and IMAP/SMTP settings but it's just not connecting.

That most likely reason is due to Virgin Media's recent change to the security of their email service.

When you reset a VM email password that password now only allows you to access the relevant Webmail account.

To access the email account using IMAP via an email app such as Outlook you now also have to generate a "Mail app"  password to use instead or your webmail password. That is in the format     video-post-mossy-sharp

Have you been using that email app password?

If not. you can generate one by signing into the My Virgin Media Account (not the webmail account) for your Aunt's email address using this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  Enter the Ntlworld email address and then the password for  her account.

Once you have signed in to the My Virgin Media account click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab

Then scroll down that "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:       video-post-mossy-sharp 

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in Outlook's settings.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi reale00, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the email access and this is not the experience we wish to provide. 

Can you confirm if you have done which coenoby has suggested and can you confirm if this is still an issue following this?

Thanks coenoby for your assistance with this. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

You know, I can’t help but think that considering the number of times that you and Graham have posted similar messages to the above, explaining how to set up an app-specific password, that the forum mods might just have thought about making this or a truncated version into a sticky post, to which similar posters could be pointed to rather than you both having to do a copy and paste job each time?

It’s not like VM made a fairly major change to email authentication, which in itself is fair enough and does improve security, it’s just the communication of this is definitely sixth rate - which is not entirely unexpected, is it?