cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLWorld Outlook issue

pkilgallen
Tuning in

Hello,

I currently have an NTLWorld email account that has stopped working from 25th August. Login Authorisation is failing.

I have changed the password and am able to login successfully via Webmail however in Outlook 2013 I am receiving:

Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): A secure connection to the server cannot be established.

Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

Many Thanks In Advance

Patrick

10 REPLIES 10

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Confirm the recommended settings are being used, see below:

Incoming (either IMAP or POP3)

Account typeIMAP POP3
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com richard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port993 995
AuthenticationPassword Password
SSL/TLSYes Yes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing (SMTP)

Account type SMTP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

FYI unless extended support was purchased Outlook 2013 support ended 10 April 2018, i.e. no further product updates or security updates.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hello,

I can confirm that these settings are correct. I have double checked them

The last email received was 25th August 2022 so it appears to have stopped functioning only recently

On Send/Receive I receive this error

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for P***************@ntlworld.com.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for P******************************@ntlworld.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'P*********************@ntlworld.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

FYI: a successful connection with SMTP server returns:

⋮
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user richard.branson@virginmedia.com ;id=dFbt4D44Av6rZ;sid=dFbt4D44Av6rZ;mta=csmtp6.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net;d=20220902;t=120000[CET];ipsrc=86.xxx.xxx.xxx;
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
⋮

I am not sure what this is, I run a command prompt but get an curl unknown error

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which operating system are you running?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @pkilgallen,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your NTLWorld email! 

Are you able to access the mailbox through your online account at all? If not, what error are you seeing?

Please let us know so we can assist further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello, I am running Windows XP

I can log into the Virginmedia web mail and login with the same details and access my emails that way but I would prefer Outlook 2013

@pkilgallen wrote:

Hello, I am running Windows XP

I can log into the Virginmedia web mail and login with the same details and access my emails that way but I would prefer Outlook 2013

Can't offer you a specific answer to your issue but some recent topics about similar issues do seem to have a common theme that the customer's operating system or email client (such as Windows Live Mail) are long out of date and obsolete software.

Windows XP eventually went end of life in 2014 and Outlook 2013 is due to go end of life in April 2023, so that too will expire next year.

Using obsolete software does present a security risk, especially in the case of email programs which can receive communications and data from unknown outside sources.

Edit: This link suggests that Outlook 2013 will not run on Win XP

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/why-can-t-i-install-office-2013-or-office-2016-on-windows...

Are you actually on XP or on Windows 7 or later?