Menu
Highlighted
indeana
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NTLWORLD intermittent email fault

We have been with Virgin Media since 1990 and have a NTLWORLD email address. Intermittent fault not receiving some emails on desktop Outlook or mobile webmail. Phoned Virgin Media. They said they had never heard of NTLWORLD and that the email settings for NTLWORLD were the same as Virgin Media, which I doubt. Virgin Media deny that there is a service issue. We must be just too old! Anyone with similar experience or advice please?

0 Kudos
SDC
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTLWORLD intermittent email fault

@indeanawrote:

They said they had never heard of NTLWORLD and that the email settings for NTLWORLD were the same as Virgin Media, which I doubt.

Well, first thoughts are that there's a contradiction in that sentence, they can hardly offer advice about something they've never heard of. Mind you, if it's the out-of-hours offshore customer services I'm not surprised - they don't always talk sense.

Regarding the email settings, the newer unified settings are the same for all VM email addresses - see http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Servicing defective PTT button actuators since 2010.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Guinness to really show your appreciation.
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... I work for peanuts. And I'm a die-hard Eudora fan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ModTeam

Perhaps someone could explain to the agent the history of Virgin Media, including it's inception as the two Cable companies Telewest and NTL?  I find it astounding that you have agents on the phone who claim to have never heard of ntlworld.  Either something was missing in their training, or they weren't paying attention.

@indeana  Despite the fact that the agent claimed not to have known about ntlworld.com addresses.  You were in fact given the correct information.  While there are still old settings in play for ntlworld, blueyonder and virgin.net, my understanding is that Virgin Media will be turning these off at the end of April.

The reasons are twofold:

1. Security - Despite Virgin actually updating the settings for the legacy domains in 2010, many people are still using even more outdated settings which quite frankly leak you password like a sieve.  While I'm aware of why they chose the option not to remove the settings, my personal opinion is that it was the wrong one.

2. Ease of support - Even before Virgin announced the new settings, the fact remains, that for many years the virginmedia.com servers have been usable by virgin.net, blueyonder.co.uk and ntlworld.com customers for many years prior to this.  For me it makes sense that everyone across the board uses the same settings, as rather than having to ask what your email address ends in, which was the old case, you only need to know one set of settings regardless of their email address.

So while the agent may not have inspired much confidence at the outset, you were given the correct information.

The correct settings will still depend on whether you use POP3 or IMAP to collect your mail, but everything else is easy to remember.

POP3

Server -pop3.virginmedia.com
Port - 995
SSL/TLS enabled (Note some older email clients will simply say SSL)
Username:  Your full email address (e.g. in your case joebloggs@ntlworld.com)
Password:

IMAP

Server - imap.virginmedia.com
Port 993
SSL/TLS - Enabled
Username:  Your full email address.

Outgoing mail: (SMTP)

Server - smtp.virginmedia.com
Port 465
SSL/TLS - Enabled
My server requires authentication ticked (an apple devices set password type to plain).

Some email clients will have a setting to use the same username and password as incoming, if not you will have to manually add them.  Again username is the FULL email address.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

indeana
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, it probably was an offshore call centre. The fault has not re-occurred in the last 24 hours. It probably was temporary service outages.

0 Kudos
indeana
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you Tim for your comprehensive reply. In our area I think it was first Telecential, then NTL, then Virgin Media.

Our settings were updated a couple of years ago as instructed by Virgin, but the servers were still ntlworld. Thank you for clarifying that I can update them to virginmedia as that is unclear from VM's website as it no longer mentions ntlworld. We use POP3. All the other settings are I think the same.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

NTL accquired Telecential along with Comcast and a number of other UK Cable companies.  Likewise Telewest accqured a number of other cable companies and in the end Telewest and NTL merged to become NTL/Telewest which rebranded to become Virgin Media when they acquired Virgin Mobile from Richard Branson.  They actually obtained an agreement to license the use of the Virgin brand, rather than, as people think Virgin accquiring NTL/Telewest.

Finally in 2013 Virgin Media was bought by Liberty Global.

Tim

jenim
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, my outgoing mail hasn't worked for about a week now, on both my phone (Iphone 6S) and my desktop. I've tried changing the settings to the ones you suggest here and now neither incoming nor outgoing work. What advice do you have?

0 Kudos
indeana
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suggest phone VM for them to carry out checks at their end. For me they did not find any fault, but then offered to take remote control of my desktop computer and check the Outlook email settings, but they said they would not deal with any other issues relating to Microsoft, which seems fair enough. My problem seems to have resolved itself, probably an email service issue. I will be updating my settings in due course.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

While remote assistance can be beneficial, I personally choose not to let offshore support mess with settings on my PC.  I will sometimes let them view my desktop remotely to demonstrate an issue but that's as far as it goes.

Then again I am fairly confident when it comes to dealing with my own issues Smiley Wink  Considerably less so when it comes to trusting offshore support to mess with my PC, especially when on one occasion they reset my TCP/IP stack and then wondered why they lost connection to my desktop. Smiley Very Happy

I use an Ipad mini, a desktop and an android phone, and the settings I've posted work for me consistently for both blueyonder and virginmedia.com.  I'm not aware of any server issues at this time myself so I would double check your settings.

When you say you are using a desktop - what email program are you using?

Tim

0 Kudos